PDA

View Full Version : B&W turnover install on 98 short bed

JoeyD
04-25-2005, 02:56
I was looking under my truck and notice the bed support is close to the axle certerline. Anyone install a goosneck on the short bed trucks like mine and did you go forward or backwards or cut the support out? I will have my hitch this week just preparing for the install. Thanks.

Craig M
04-25-2005, 06:05
I know that some shortbeds have problems with trailer clearance by the cab. If that is not an issue, one should try to orient the pin toward the front axle. This distributes some of the load to the front axle. If you put it "behind" the centerline you will be removing load from the front axle.

dieseldummy
04-26-2005, 18:42
Joey, On my old short bed I was worried about clearance because I had a toolbox in front of the box already so I just cut part of the box support out to fit my hitch. It was homemade, but similar in design to the B&W. On mine I just had to make a spot where the ball went, but offhand I can't remember exactly how high the B&W sets above the frame rails? If clearence isn't and issue and you can make it work I would put the ball 6" infront of the rear axle, makes a world of difference in handling in my experience.

JoeyD
05-13-2005, 16:50
Just did the install tonight. I doubt they could make it any easier to install. The hitch is very well built. In my usuall can't leave anything stock I did add 2 extra bolts to each side plate. It sits about 4-5 inches in front of the axle center line and the bed support remains intack no cutting except the 4in hole and the u bolt holes for the safety chains.