PDA

View Full Version : Narrow rear Axle?

Philsky
04-28-2005, 17:55
Hi there, I never really noticed that the rear Axle on my 1996 Suburban was narrower than the front until I had towed a trailer down to Mexico and it felt a little loose and while driving on the beach I noticed My tire tracks weren't quite even. That is when I satrted Measuring and found out the rear axle is two inches narrower on each side. Did any one else no this? Did Gm just screw me or every one? I was told this is only on the 1988 to 2000 GM 4x4s?

I had a guy spin up some aluminum spacers for 90 bucks each and here I am with an even track width all around :)I drives and tows much nicer.

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
04-28-2005, 20:03
Yep, this is a well known issue. I bought my Correctrack spacers used from a former fellow DP member. www.correctrack.com (http://www.correctrack.com) My truck seems to ride just a little bite softer in the rear with the spacers.

nathan71
04-29-2005, 05:40
It makes alot of sense if you have done any amount of offroading. I would rather have my rear tires driving through fresh mud/sod or snow, not in the ruts, or tracks left by the front tires. It may not improve the ride on pavement or when towing though, I never noticed the difference. You can tell which trucks are set up this way just by traveling behind them.