PDA

View Full Version : Gross weight restrictions

Craig M
05-13-2005, 07:28
Have talked about legal weight on this forum more than once. The tags on the vehicles are probably federal requirements. GCVW, GVW etcetera. Each state may be differnt on what you can and cannnot do within their state. I checked the California Vehicle Code. There are requirement for maximum loads per axle (20,000#), per duall axles, per side of axle, for front axle, and for total weight (80,000#), but I could find no section that required the vehicle operator to follow manufacturers gross combined vehicle weight limits. There is one section that requires the combination vehicle and trailer to be able to stop in 40 feet from a speed of 20 mph (on a flat dry section of road). There may be some Federal requlation against running over the GCVW, but I could not find it in a quick review of Part 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Even if there is a Federal regulaion if may only apply to "commercial" operators. The RV driver, or hobbiest not driving for a company (or proffit) will probably not fall under the jurisdiction of the CFR. This is California and other states will have different rules.

a5150nut
05-13-2005, 15:36
Craig,
If you look in I think it was Ca Commercial drivers handbook, they call for a non-commercial Class A if your trailer is 15,000 or more, or for towing two trailers. IIRC............

I hear Arizona likes to nail out of staters for being over GVCW.

tony00
05-15-2005, 22:14
Originally posted by a5150nut:
Craig,
If you look in I think it was Ca Commercial drivers handbook, they call for a non-commercial Class A if your trailer is 15,000 or more, or for towing two trailers. IIRC............
But that only applies to two "trailers" not a 5th and a trailer. I talked to the CHP on Friday. I is legal to pull a 5th and a trailer with a class C and an RV endorsement.

Tony

DmaxMaverick
05-16-2005, 02:24
Originally posted by tony00:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by a5150nut:
Craig,
But that only applies to two "trailers" not a 5th and a trailer. I talked to the CHP on Friday. I is legal to pull a 5th and a trailer with a class C and an RV endorsement.

Tony </font>[/QUOTE]In CA, a CDL is required to tow double trailers on the highway. There are exceptions, but RV's aren't any of them. If you are a farmer hauling your cotton to the gin, you get an exception. If you have a CDL, you can tow your 5'er with another trailer in tow. A "restricted class A" license (RV endorsement) is required for towing a trailer over 10,000 pounds, or a fifth wheel trailer over 15,000 pounds. It does not allow you to tow a double combination. CA vehicle code section 12804something describes the requirements. A "restricted class A" will be the same as a class C with an RV endorsement. They are changing the terminology.

Also, if you are towing a double, the first vehicle must be a fifth wheel, not a ball hitch.

If you are hauling/towing for hire (even RV's), all bets are off. You need a CDL.

As far as the GVW's in CA, the MFG's recomendations (the tag) is the minimum you can register a vehicle. For example, you can't have a one ton, and get away with paying weight fees for a 3/4 ton. The only exception is to register the vehicle as a housecar, which means it has to be "capped" or carry a camper, permanently. In this case, it carries passenger car plates and is not subject to weight fees. A vehicle can be registered for a weight rating higher than the MFG's, but requires an inspection for reclassification.

If you are driving in from out of state, your home state driver's license requirements come with you, but not your weight requirements if they exceed CA's axle/gross limits.

Craig M
05-16-2005, 05:34
Licensing and registration are two related items to this post. What I was trying to do with this post was see if anyone has knowledge of regulations on gross towed weight. As stated in original post I could only find axle maximums. Could not find regualtion or restrictions on tire capacity, axle capacity or Gross tag weight.

OC_DMAX
05-16-2005, 15:53

NO. You need a Class A Commercial license to tow doubles in CA.

ALSO,,,, you need a Class A Non-Commercial license to tow a "travel trailer" in CA that exceeds 10,000 lbs GVWR. The vast majority of the people I know who have Tow Hauler type trailers (&gt;10,000 lbs) are towing them with Class C licenses in CA, in violation of the law.

DmaxMaverick
05-16-2005, 16:51
Originally posted by OC_DMAX:
....ALSO,,,, you need a Class A Non-Commercial license to tow a "travel trailer" in CA that exceeds 10,000 lbs GVWR. The vast majority of the people I know who have Tow Hauler type trailers (&gt;10,000 lbs) are towing them with Class C licenses in CA, in violation of the law. CVC section 12804.9 states, in part:

"....1) Class A includes the following:
(A) A combination of vehicles, if any vehicle being towed has a
gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds.
(B) A vehicle towing more than one vehicle.
(C) A trailer bus.
(D) The operation of all vehicles under class B and class C.

(2) Class B includes the following:
(A) A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of more
than 26,000 pounds.
(B) A single vehicle with three or more axles, except any
three-axle vehicle weighing less than 6,000 pounds.
(C) A bus except a trailer bus.
(D) A farm labor vehicle.
(E) A single vehicle with three or more axles or a gross vehicle
weight rating of more than 26,000 pounds towing another vehicle with
a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less.
(F) A house car over 40 feet in length, excluding safety devices
and safety bumpers.
(G) The operation of all vehicles covered under class C.

(3) Class C includes the following:
(A) A two-axle vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of
26,000 pounds or less, including when the vehicle is towing a trailer
or semitrailer with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds
or less.
(B) Notwithstanding subparagraph (A), a two-axle vehicle weighing
4,000 pounds or more unladen when towing a trailer coach not
exceeding 9,000 pounds gross.
(C) A house car of 40 feet in length or less.
(D) A three-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds gross or less.
(E) A house car of 40 feet in length or less or vehicle towing
another vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds
or less, including when a tow dolly is used. A person driving a
vehicle may not tow another vehicle in violation of Section 21715.
(F) (i) A two-axle vehicle weighing 4,000 pounds or more unladen
when towing either a trailer coach or a fifth-wheel travel trailer
not exceeding 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating, when the
towing of the trailer is not for compensation.
(ii) A two-axle vehicle weighing 4,000 pounds or more unladen when
towing a fifth-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 pounds, but not
exceeding 15,000 pounds, gross vehicle weight rating, when the
towing of the trailer is not for compensation, and if the person has
passed a specialized written examination provided by the department
relating to the knowledge of this code and other safety aspects
governing the towing of recreational vehicles upon the highway.
The authority to operate combinations of vehicles under this
subparagraph may be granted by endorsement on a class C license upon
completion of that written examination...."

Clear as mud?

OC_DMAX
05-16-2005, 18:20
I recently sold my "travel trailer" and purchased a 5th wheel (GVWR&gt;10,000 lbs). I was trying to determine what, if any, license upgrades I needed in CA. It took a couple of DMV website visits to wade through it all.

I came to the following conclusions:

In California, you need a Class A license to tow a "trailer" that is 10,001 pounds or greater (GVWR) or 5th wheels with a GVWR &gt;15,000 lbs. There are two categories of Class A licenses in Calif. (Commercial and Non-Commercial). Either of the two categories will allow one to legally tow a "trailer or 5th Wheel" that has the GVWR mentioned above. The standard "Class C" license that everyone has for driving the basic truck allows one to tow "trailers" with GVWR of 10,000 or less. (Note: in CA, for 5th wheels you can tow up to a 15K GVWR with a normal "Class C" license, but you need an endorsement once your above the 10K pound limit).

The requirements are "clearly" stated in some of the license study guides. It just takes a while finding them on the DMV website. Your cut-n-paste paragraphs above bound the issue (Class C Paragraph F and Class A Paragraph A)

See this link:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs03thru06.htm#basicdlinfo

tanker
06-09-2005, 17:35
I spoke with someone here in Pennsylvania about some of this. Towing a trailer over 10,000lbs GVW requires a CDL, however if its an RV its ok without a CDL. A truck with less than 26,000lbs GVW does not require a CDL, even if it has air brakes.
However a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup towing a trailer over 10,000lbs needs a CDL, unless you register the truck with a combination tag for both truck and trailer for say under 26,000lbs combined weight, then no CDL is required. All RV's no matter what size are exempt from a CDL. I can't speak for other states, as they can do whatever they wish to apply. Most states will honor someone passing through, if they are legal in their home state.
Seems the whole CDL thing needs an overhaul, to many lobbyist in Washington.
U-Haul, Ryder etc. are behind the 26,000lb law. It doesn't matter how big a straight truck is, as long as its under 26,000lbs, no CDL required. We have all seen the guy with a U-Haul, overloaded with his car in tow weaving down the Interstate highways, no training etc.
Why must all tractors and all semi trailers have conspituity reflective (Red-White)tape on them? Straight trucks, no matter how long are exempt! Why? Well poor Ryder and U-haul went to Washington to lobby against it, because it would have been a hardship on their money.
Thats why so many laws are screwed up, and we are the "United-States" of America! All States should be on the same playing field.
Just had to add my 2-cents. ;)

JD Diesel
06-09-2005, 17:55
It's so damn confussing I don't really care anymore. Look at the facts when was the last time an RVer was hauled to a weight station. I have never seen it? I just told my wife I well be very happy if we can keep it at 26000 or less.Which will be very hard for her.You know how the want to bring everything in the world in the trialer. When we got the new one she thought it was going to take an hour to transfer everything. Well 5 hours later and lot of stuff inthe trash. some one hour RIGHT. :eek: :rolleyes:

crafty
06-10-2005, 08:03
Here in Ontario Canada, the laws are similar to what Tanker has posted. The one exception is that I have to register my truck as a commercial vehicle as soon as the registered combined weight of the truck and trailer are over 10,000 lbs. (not including camper trailers) My truck is licenced for 17,600 lbs combined weight.
This means I must have a yearly inspection, I must do a daily trip inspection report and if I travel more that 160 kms from home I must record the hours driven and abide by the hours alloted to the 18 wheelers.
If I stay within that 160 km radius, all I need to do is keep track (loose-leaf book) of the hours I drive. It doesn't have to be official, just available if the MTO guys ask for it.
AAs with what tanker said, if you haul a trailer that is over 10,000 lbs, you must have a class A licence. Again, rv's and travel trailers are not included. :D :D :D