PDA

View Full Version : Tire help

DWSson1
06-04-2005, 12:49
I have an '03 GMC 3500 dually, Duramax, Allison. The truck came from the factory with Goodyear LT 215/85R 16 E M+S Wrangler tires. I am replacing them (47,000 miles) with commercial grade tires. The new tires have an additional steel belt on the sidewall to help with puncture resistance (and weigh almost twice as much). The problem is, I can only get them locally in a different size. They are Michelin LT 235/85R 16 E XPS, also M+S. The old tires had a load rating of 2680 (single), and the new ones are rated at 3042 (single).

On the way home I noticed that the fuel computer was showing substantially lower mpg, and the speed seemed wrong too. I was under the impression that the 215 v 235 was the tire width, and that the 85 was the height, so that there should be no speedometer difference. Apparently, this must be wrong.

Several questions. How much indicated speedometer difference should I see with this change? I followed my wife at a set speed, and am guessing that I am off 3-4 mph at 70, and 3 or so at 60mph (reading low). Is this about right? Is this a linear relationship? If the new tires are taller, then my truck will move farther with each rotation. This will effectively reduce my gearing ratio where the tire meets the road. Should I also expect this to be relatively minor (ie 4.11 to 4.04 or something like this?). Also, will my actual millage go up (more distance per engine revolution) or go down (more distance per rev, yes, but that requires more horsepower)or stay about the same (more distance per rev, takes more hp, but the two offset each other)? Is there any place I can get my speedometer recalibrated for anything short of highway robbery? Any recommendations? And I assume the larger tire will also affect the ABS system. Can this be recalibrated as well? Is it one calibration for both speedometer and ABS?

Thanks for any and all help.

DWSson1

DmaxMaverick
06-04-2005, 13:24
Welcome to the forums!

Your stock tires, 215/85/16, have a diameter of 30.4". The 235/85/16 have a diameter of 31.7". The addition of a heavier/wider tire will increase the fuel requirement, as rolling resistance (wider tire), and centrifugal load (heavier/taller) increase. The final drive ratio increase (by having taller tires) may or may not effect the efficiency, depending on load, speed, terrain, and driving habits.

To know any of this for sure, you will have to calibrate your speedo/odo to actual. This can be done with one of several programmers/power adders available. Other than that, you will have to calculate it all manually, which can be very unreliable, even with GPS. Miles traveled indicated on GPS are point to point, and get skewed when turns are involved. Indicated GPS speed is accurate only when traveling perfectly straight.

My 2001 has 285/75/16 tires (33" dia.). I calibrate the speedo/odo with a Predator programmer and verify the accuracy with a GPS. The ABS works the same as it did with OEM tires.

Don't look to your dealer to calibrate for tire size changes. They don't have one, regardless of what they might tell you. They can recalibrate for the ABS, but it should not be necessary, as many here will attest to.

Heartbeat Hauler
06-04-2005, 13:55
DWSson1,
You are probably experiencing exactly what should happen with a larger size tire. Your question about the 235 being width and 85 being height is mostly correct, however, the 85 is not a specific height it is a %. So even though 85 is the same in both types of tires, the 215s & the 235s, it is a different percentage. For example, 215/85/16 means you have a section width (how wide the tire is at it's widest point)of 215mm. Now, the aspect ratio or height of the tire (from the rim to the tread)is 85% of the width. So even though both tire sizes are 85, one is 85% of 215mm(shorter) and the other is 85% of 235mm(taller). You dig?
JP

Craig M
06-06-2005, 06:37
DmaxMaverick gave you the diameter differences, 30.4 and 31.7. This is a 4.2% difference. When reading 60 mph, actual speed will be 62.5 mph, when reading 75 mph, actual speed will be 78.15. MPG readings will be accordingly off the same 4.2%.

zip
06-07-2005, 08:53
On the BF Goodrich site, there's a window that helps you see how you affect your final drive by switching to a bigger dia. tire.
www.bfgoodrichtires.com (http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com)