PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tire???

CareyWeber
06-09-2005, 20:01
My trailer 18' flatbed w/ 2' dovetail has 235/75/R15s on it rated at right at 2,000lbs each so four = 8,000 lbs.

I found 16" rims with the 5"x5 bolt pattern. I was thinking about going to LT225/75/R16 Load Range E tires because they are about the same height, but they are rated at +2600 lbs four = 10,400lbs.

This would give a much higher load capacity + a stiffer side wall.

What do you think???

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/product_g647RSS.html

Carey

[ 06-10-2005, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: CareyWeber ]

DmaxMaverick
06-09-2005, 20:27
What is the GVWR of the trailer. If it were more than 8K, it would surely have higher capacity tires.

Overkill on tires is fine. Loading a trailer up to 10K, when it is only rated/designed for 8K, is not. Higher capacity tires only offer peace of mind. They will not increase the load capacity of the trailer.

CareyWeber
06-10-2005, 03:16
Originally posted by DmaxMaverick:
What is the GVWR of the trailer. If it were more than 8K, it would surely have higher capacity tires.

Overkill on tires is fine. Loading a trailer up to 10K, when it is only rated/designed for 8K, is not. Higher capacity tires only offer peace of mind. They will not increase the load capacity of the trailer. Its a 7K trailer, but I'm not adding to the load just wanting better tires the load staying the same. I was thinking the tires would last much longer too.

If I were to increase the load I would get 6K axles. ;)

Carey

DmaxMaverick
06-10-2005, 05:15
No problem then.

As far as the tires lasting longer, I doubt it. Seldom will you see a set of trailer tires "wear out". It is the weather and separations that keep you shopping for tires about every 3-4 years. The weather doesn't care how much you payed, or how many plies. If you use the trailer for business, and do wear out the tread, they may last longer, but probably not enough to offset the cost. I replace my trailer tires every 3 years, whether they need it or not. Every cord separation I've experienced was in about the 4th year.

MIKE WIENER
06-10-2005, 18:01
Make shure you compare the tires over all diamiters. you maye not have enuf space between the tires. there are diferint suspentions for taller tires.

MIKE