PDA

View Full Version : trickle charge hooked up?

nolesare1
06-12-2005, 05:33
my dealer supposedly hooked up the trickle charge line on my truck when i bought it. i went to dump last week and the battery on my trailer dump box was dead. i put a few miles on the truck to see if it charged, called dealer, they said it was a trickle charge wire, i have no clue. How can i track this down and how can i test to see if it truly is active?

Inspector
06-13-2005, 09:55
Post some more information about your truck and we'll see what we can do for you.
Denny :D

Tractor
06-13-2005, 19:01
lenholub
Just added a gooseneck dump trailer to my gooseneck fleet. The wiring diagram as it,s sets in front of me shows the center wire as your charge wire. This is on a Load Trail trailer. Yours could be different. It shows the wire charge line as being a red wire. Start you truck up and see with a test lite if you have power to your center pole. Most trailers have a standard wiring diagram. If your truck has power to that pole, then it could be in the line on your trailer. Keep us informed. I,ll check and compare on my new dump trailer for us.
TRACTOR

tanker
06-14-2005, 01:54
Lenhoup, The red wire on a GM is the battery feed to the trailer, however it must be activated. On my 05 I had to install a 40 amp fuse in the power box on the left side of the engine compartment, I believe it was on stud #1.
I believe on my old 95 Suburban I had to connect the red wire on the firewall, drivers side, but don't remember what fuse it had.
This red wire will charge a battery or run an accessory on a given type of trailer.
Hope this helps some.
Hey TRACTOR, where have you been hiding? ;)

Tractor
06-14-2005, 18:08
TANKER
Been on the forum from time to time. Been in the hills enjoying one of our greenest springs in years. Garcia had back surgery [#5] at the end of March in Denver. All went well. Hope like all get out to make this years rendezvous. Have not seen some fine folks in 2 years. Rob and Sue should be through our way Thursday. Have to go up Ashcreek to get my horse,s feet trimmed and to get new shoes put on Friday evening. That should be something different for Canada navy guy Rob.
TRACTOR

nolesare1
06-16-2005, 17:42
sorry been so long coming back at you guys, in the morning i'll check both options, i figured there had to be a fuse block but didn't know which one, let u guys know, thanks as always for the good insight!!!