PDA

View Full Version : New Towing Forum!

More Power
10-26-2003, 11:40
Brand new forum! Many members use their truck or Suburban to tow. Discovering that edge in towing performance, or finding that perfect travel or towing accessory are issues many members have questions about. This forum is for all 6.2L, 6.5TD and Duramax owners.

We'll enlist the help of dedicated and experienced moderators who have used their truck or Suburban to tow travel-trailers or 5th-wheel RV trailers all over America. Of course, if you have insightful information to pass along or can answer someone else's question, by all means, post your reply or sage advice. We're here to help.
MP

Viking
10-27-2003, 04:48
A welcome addition to the DP. Thanks More Power.

cowboywildbill
10-27-2003, 08:10
Now your talking! Towing is what most of us really do. Thanks. I started towing my big fifth wheel camper with a gooseneck adapter about a year ago. I have other gooseneck trailers. So I don't have to put that "big bed robbing" chunk of steel, fifth wheel hitch in and out every time I tow a different trailer. And the trailer tows better on and off the road with the adapter. It even is easier to hook up the goose neck than the fifth wheel was. I was surprised at this, but the clearence from the side, where you have to lock the king pin was real tight on the fifth wheel. With the goose adapter, you just reach in from the back at the tailgate and put in the saftey pin. The hitch latches automaticaly. It even handles better and is more stable on the road, I guess this is because the center of gravity with a ball in the bed is now about 2' lower than the fifth wheel hitch was. Just my two cents worth.

GARY PAGE
10-27-2003, 18:08
This is a good idea. My truck is used for towing a 2002 29.5 foot fifth wheel. Looking foward to future discussions.

rjschoolcraft
10-28-2003, 04:55
Yes, this is a good idea. I tow with my Suburban several times a week.

Cowboy Wild Bill:

A friend of mine tows a fifth wheel behind his Duramax using a goose neck adapter. He asked me a question the other day that I could not answer. He asked how you limit side-to-side roll of the trailer. With a fifth-wheel hitch, I can see that the platform would provide some limit, but very little is provided with the goose neck. Is this a concern?

With the tongue-pull trailers I pull, I suppose there is little to limit roll except the load distributing hitch spring bars.

His concern was in very uneven ground the trailer might want to tip. Any thoughts?

SS396
10-28-2003, 12:41
Nice addition, I like it.

Thanks MP.

DmaxProf
10-28-2003, 18:24
Thanks for this addition to the Diesel Page. I am looking forward to a lot of helpful information. Learning the best methods for towing a heavy 5th wheel trailers is a major interest for me.

Inspector
10-28-2003, 18:30
Great idea Jim. Will be looking into this forum allot.
Denny

Tractor
10-28-2003, 20:30
Smooth move More Power! This forum could be a busy one. Lots of info to be had..
TRACTOR and T.J. With a couple of slightly cranked 6.5,s and a 2003 HO 6 speed CUMMINS Dually with leather and all that stuff...#364

cowboywildbill
10-29-2003, 14:45
My experiance has been that it feels more stable. I think that the lower center of gravity helps.

cowboywildbill
10-29-2003, 14:53
I forgot to mention the previous post was about the gooseneck adapter for fifth wheels

motovet
11-01-2003, 13:01
I agree, a great and potentially busy forum. :D

sturgeon-phish
11-09-2003, 13:39
Since signing onto the DP I've considered the DP the best performance / relibility investment for my truck. With this additional forum, it made the best even better! Great idea.

Walter
12-07-2003, 15:07
This is a great idea,I just found this forum.My Truck is a 2002 C/C 6.6 and I'm towing a 2004 32'' Prowler Reagal.So far everythings pulling great around all the high mountainous passes in B.C. Canada.