PDA

View Full Version : Leak in 02 Forest River Wildcat - 29BHS

BassinRVer
10-27-2003, 05:16
When I drive in the rain the slide leaks from water splashing up. I gets carpet all wet. I have talked to Forest River and they told me what to do and I did it but she still leaks. I put additional weather stripping where the two frames come together (frame on trailer and frame on slide out).

chipper
10-27-2003, 08:37
BassinRVer,

Quite a few trailer mfgs have had this problem & a large part of the solution is to mount a spray shield to stop the tire from throwing a heavy spray in the area of the leak. Good luck, I know this can be frustrating.

letsgo
10-27-2003, 09:31
Air pressure is your greatest enemy, watch the water on the drivers window the air pushes the rain water up, I would start caulking from the roof down, a/c, fridge vent, windows, side lights.

good luck

Heartbeat Hauler
10-27-2003, 11:04
I have a Forest River Sierra and it is about 2.5 years old. This past summer I found that the caulking around the roof vents had dried and separated which caused a neat leak right in the middle of the 5ver. My point is, you might try checking all rubber and sealing areas to insure that they are installed properly or have not worn out prematurely. I think mine was due to the fact it is not covered when not in use. Wind & water can wreak havoc with sealing points. Good luck.
JP

BassinRVer
10-28-2003, 05:31
Thanks everyone. I have thought about the ideal of putting in the splashed guard.

motovet
11-01-2003, 12:51
Hi Rob. My Arctic Fox had the same problem and the manufacturer authorized a new lower slide seal to be installed. Of course here in the northwest I put that new seal to the test MANY times, and it has fixed the problem for good.

rglady
12-02-2003, 18:39
Bassin rver I have an 03 wildcat 29bhs I have not had the slide out water problem yet ,but it seems to be fairly common. The spray shield is the cure .If you hit this site you will find many worth while tweaks to correct a lot of the wildcats shortcomings http://68.15.40.218/wildcat/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=297

sonofagun
12-03-2003, 12:22
Bassin,

I would agree that the spray shield is a likely fix.

However, in most cases the slides are adjustable both left to right and top to bottom. It is possible for your dealer to check the seal all around and if it is open at the bottom (or where ever) to adjust it so it seals all around. (you can eyeball this yourself from the inside - lift the carpet and see if you see light at the seal). The slides can reset this measurement over time. They are heavly and they rock about. You can also use a adjustable bar at the top of your slides when they are in to help keep the bottom tight. Most of the bigger heavier rigs come with these bars. Some you just stuff in place - they don't work, (Camping world sells the adjustable ones). Be very careful if you use them --- be SURE to remove them before you slide the unit out! Loud $$$$ noises will occur otherwise.

Good luck,
Bob