PDA

View Full Version : Best way to select stinger drop

Rockin
10-28-2003, 09:03
I need to get a stinger for my truck that correctly sets the height of the horse trailer I am going to pull. What is the best way to get the right height? The previous truck used a 2" drop turned upside down. That setup clearly puts the trailer too high as I can see the tandem axles don't sit even.

I could put the truck next to the trailer tongue but that doesn't account for spring sag...

I will probably get one of the aluminum stingers as they won't rust and are rated 13000#. I noticed they have a tapered end where it is inserted. This probably means I couldn't turn the stinger over to raise the height.

DalDMax
10-28-2003, 17:00
After doing a lot of searching and researching, I went with a Quick Draw hitch.

http://www.quickdrawhitch.com/triballmagnum.htm

This way I can hook up to almost any trailer with the right ball height.

It also works pretty good keeping cars off of my rear in traffic :D

Rockin
10-31-2003, 09:01
I looked at the quick draw. I don't know that I'll do enough bumper pull towing to justify $160 for an adjustable stinger. OTOH, I guess you get a setup like that and you are good for any trailer you pull unless it is over 10K and then you probably should have sway control.

DalDMax
10-31-2003, 11:09
I'm often off places where I might need to hook up to different trailers. With the QuickDraw I can easily hookup to a wide range of trailers.
I figure on keeping it for a long time, so the convenience factor outweighed the price.

There are several hitches out there like this, however the QuickDraw is the only one I found where all the pieces are captive and if a locking hitch pin is used to secure the hitch to the truck none of it is going anywhere. :D

Rockin
10-31-2003, 13:24
I was wondering about how to secure that many pieces. Good to know it only takes one lock. That may be the way to go.

Inspector
10-31-2003, 13:43
When determining the correct hieght of the ball hitch (stinger), park the trailer on a level surface and level fore and aft with the hitch jack. With a duel axel trailer measure the distance to the ground between the axels from the bottom surface of the frame. That measurement is used to set the hieght to the flat ball mount of the stinger.
There are several reciever hitches available with different drops to allow for adjustment. Some may need to raise the ball and this can be done by turning over the reciever hitch. :D
The same proceedure can be used for the single axle. Just measure to the frame as close to axle as you can.
I have seen many trailers being pulled that were not properly set up. You want your trailer as level as possible. Sway control and Proper loading are subjects that play into the ease, comfort and towability of a travel trailer.
Start with a level platform and adjust for weight distribution to maintain that level platform, add sway control if needed and you will enjoy many miles of easy and worry free towing.
Denny :D

Rockin
10-31-2003, 14:25
Inspector, thank you, that is more the kind of answer I was looking for. How do I account for the rear axle springs being compressed by tongue weight? Find the correct height, put the trailer on the ball and then measure the distance to get to that level mark?

Inspector
10-31-2003, 16:10
A good weight distribution system will bring all back to level. Without the system the rear of the tow vehicle will squat when the trailer is hooked to the truck. The weight distributing system will take some of the tongue weight and put it on the front axel or the wheels of the tow vehicle thus leveling out the trailer and the truck once more. The different systems have there unique ways of moving the weight. This added weight to the front end of the tow vehicle will add to steering control as well. The goal is to have a level trailer and tow vehicle.
Denny :D

ropinfool
11-01-2003, 19:39
When you hook up the trailer to your truck now, how much does the rear end squat? You say the 2" drop upside down puts the tongue too high, how much too high? If the truck squats a bunch then you should look into a weight distribution system or some type of load levelling system on your tow rig. It'll take a little trial and error to get it level but it's worth it! The shop I worked at would take the time and sell you the correct height stinger, provided you brought the trailer in with you. Remember a little nose up is much better than nose down but level is ideal. Those solid stingers are not aluminum, just painted/coated. The difference is they are solid instead of hollow tube. Good luck to you and if you need more help let us know. John