PDA

View Full Version : Trailer wiring

gwaidman
03-11-2004, 18:09
Looking for some help here...
I have just aquired a 1971 20' travel trailer, and its in pretty good shape. smile.gif The problem is with the wiring. Now, I know that I'm going to have to take out every bulb and clean up the contacts, because nothing works when I apply juice to it. (directly, not pluggedin to my truck)
There are two harnesses that come together in the 7-way plug. One harness contains a red and a black wire. Im guessing that these are trailer ground, and a constant positive?? The other one is interesting... big blue (brakes) big red (interior lighting and such?) and the next four I have no idea. red, white, blue, and yellow. Now I have to have turn signals, and running lights out of these. Are there standard colours for these? Or am I going to have to go through each one as I am expecting to do? Any comments guys??

Cheers tongue.gif

a5150nut
03-11-2004, 19:01
I used to work for a company setting up mobil, modular, and travel trailer plants. There are no standards for color code. Your larger wires are probably brake and battery charge wires. It is just a matter of tracing everything down.

Use vaseline or white greese on your lite sockets after you get them working. It will keep the water out. Be shure to seal where your wiring penatrates the body of the trailer and use puddy tape behind your lite fixtures to keep water out. Whenever possible run your ground back to the frame. You receptor on your tow vehicle shoud have markings for left, right, marker, ect. The larger 7 or 9 wire plug gives you more options.

If I can get my scanner working i can send pin out for plugs. There is one for commercial trucks and one for travel trailers.

DmaxMaverick
03-12-2004, 09:41
Check out the link below. It has a real good diagram that should help you identify and correctly wire your trailer. Also check out their resources and troubleshooting pages if you have any problems. Excellent source of info.

Dexteraxle Wire diagram (http://www.dexteraxle.com/trailer_plug_wiring)

If your trailer has brakes (sounds like it does), be sure to check them out real good. They have a way of going south over time without any help. Same goes for the wheel bearings. Use the Dexteraxle site to help you with that as well, if you need.

Good luck