PDA

View Full Version : WHICH HITCH?????

socaltoolguy
10-30-2003, 19:04
You have possibly come up with the greatest new addition to the DP. I have just purchased a new HitchHiker 5er and don't have the foggiest idea what hitch to get. So far it is Reese about 95% of the time on the Rv.Net forum. I would like to know why the Reese is so popular. I have been looking at all of the other brands and I am totally confused as to what to buy. The trailer will have the Trailair pinbox so an air suspension hitch is not needed. My tow vehicle is a 2001 3500HD C.C. duallie with the long bed. Can any of you folks give me some objective help. I have got to make up my mind soon. Thanks for any help.

DBlake
10-30-2003, 21:01
Ray,
Reese makes a good hitch but since I use my truck for other things, I don't like the rails it leaves in the bed. I opted for the BD turnover ball hitch with the 5th wheel adapter. The main part bolts to the frame under the bed. You then have a 3 inch diameter hole in the bed in which you can have a gooseneck ball "turned over" so it is flat or use the goose neck ball to tow. When using the 5th wheel adapter, the ball comes out and a shaft from the adapter goes into the slot. The 5th wheel hitch is easy to operate and pivots fore and aft along with some side to side. The key point though is that when removed, it leaves me with an unobstructed bed. I think the BD is rated up to 16K lbs. Hope this helps.

Viking
10-31-2003, 04:54
Ray, on my 94 6.5 I had a Reese 15K 4way pivot hitch. It was satifactory from a user point of view but it wore prematurely (although well lubricated) at the lateral pivot pin area resulting in noise when starting and stopping. It appeared to me that the fixed part of the hitch that supports the big pull pin for lateral movement had insufficiant metal thickness. Reese replaced the hitch under warranty after three years. On my 02 6.6 I have a Husky 16k 4way. This hitch has extra plates added in the pivot area providing a larger bearing surface for the pivot pin. This hitch also has a tab that pertrudes,when the trailer pin is properly engaged in the hitch,to confirm correct hookup. Someone told me that Reese produces Husky,or vice versa, I do not know but the Reese goose neck plate drops right into the Husky rails.
Whichever hitch you get read the instructions many times and follow their procedures and you will not go wrong.

arveetek
10-31-2003, 13:16
Ray,

What is the size and weight of your trailer? That is needed to make the correct product selection.

Reese makes nice hitches, and owns several brand names. The B&W turnover ball and companion fifth-wheel is a nice product as well. I really like the fact that the head of that hitch is isolated from the rest of the hitch and truck with rubber insulators.

Casey

[ 11-03-2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: arveetek ]

Tough Guy
11-01-2003, 14:28
Hello

I have the Reese 15K rocker style and like it. I had a Reese 14K that I sold with my other fiver. it served me well also.

Cheers

ropinfool
11-01-2003, 19:30
When you refer to the BD turnover ball do you mean the B&W turnover ball? If so that is the hitch I recommend, along with the companion 5th wheel adapter. It's a bit spendy, about $1000 for both of them, without installation but it gives you your bed back. They even have a plastic plug that fits flush with the bed. (The ball in the turned over position has a small "dish" in it and collects trash. I WILL be putting this hitch in my new Dodge. (As soon as I feel comfortable parting with that kind of cash!)
John

torque
11-03-2003, 20:56
A standard hitch requires 6" between the pickup bed rails and the trailer so your trailer doesn't dent your bed rails in off camber situations. A rocker hitch requires 8.5". If you have a 4X4 and/or big tires, you might not be able to get 8.5" and a level riding trailer.

socaltoolguy
11-04-2003, 17:43
Arveetek, I should have included this info with my original post. The 5er is a 2004 HitchHiker Discover America 33.5CKQG. It is 35 feet long and has a loaded out weight of 14900 lbs. I probably will never have it fully loaded but I guess it's better to plan for the max. My truck is a 2001 3500 C.C. duallie D/A and is not a 4x4.I have removed the overload springs and added 4" longer shackles so it sits level when not loaded. If this becomes a problem I will probably add air bags. I am open to any advice though. This is all new to me. Thanks again for the help.

Inspector
11-08-2003, 17:02
Ropinfool has the idea. I have seen this hitch on a neighbors 04 Dogde. As you may know drilling into the frame of a Dodge will void the warrenty. This Turnover Ball hitch with the Companion 5th wheel adaptor is the best of both worlds. It also has a high gross capacity. If I were to do it again this is the way I would go. As Ropin said it will give you your bed back as well.
Denny :D

ropinfool
11-10-2003, 08:33
In regards to the B&W hitch. I'm not sure about the Chev's, but there is no drilling involved into the frame rails for the Dodge. John

Inspector
11-10-2003, 15:36
Should have been more clear on that. This hitch is Dodge compatible. No drilling required.
Denny :D

arveetek
11-12-2003, 07:56
With the size of your trailer, and for a multi-purpose application, I too would recommend the B&W turnover ball with companion fifth-wheel hitch. Once this is installed, you can tow ANY trailer you can imagine, fifth-wheel or gooseneck!

www.turnoverball.com (http://www.turnoverball.com)

Casey

drthv8r
11-12-2003, 08:00
Ray,

Which ever 5th wheel brand hitch you purchase, look into purchasing one with the 4 way tilting/pivot. This will help keep you out of a bind so to speak. I own a Reese and it's working out well so far. When I pull the hitch out of the bed the rails that are left behind aren't that big of a deal to me.

a bear
11-12-2003, 13:45
I'm currently using the B&W companion hitch and love it. In addition to all the above reasons this hitch is very solid and produces absolutely no noise due to the hitch pivot arms having thick poly contact points and a shock absorber for the lateral pivot. No metal to metal contact points. The turnover ball is rated at a beefy 30K with the 5er @18K. A little pricy but built to last a lifetime. :D

Tractor
11-13-2003, 17:29
Just got back from the PBR Finals in Vegas. B&W had a display at the Gift Expo.I had a nice talk with the man. Their products might be costly. But they are built very well for all 3 truck frames on the market. What a shock in Phoenix yesterday snow on the lawn in Sheridan..
TRACTOR

socaltoolguy
11-13-2003, 18:23
I want to thank all of you that have responded to my question. I am still not sure what way to go. I have posted the same question on the RV.Net board and the general consensus there is the RBW hitch. The HiJacker is also popular. I wish there was someplace that I could see some of these hitches side by side to compare. I am going to call around tomorrow on my day off. Thanks again. Ray.