PDA

View Full Version : Intalling tranny temp guage

ees
11-23-2004, 18:18
With the 4L80E is their an elegant way to install a tranny temp guage? It seems that the temperature is available to the ECU so there is already a sensor in there. Is there anyway to run an aftermarket sensor with that signal? Will I just have to put a temp probe in the pan?

TJ
11-23-2004, 19:06
Hi Eric,
I'm running the sender directly from the out line of the tranny. I've plumbed it in so it goes right before the cooler in the radiator. The location is easy to get to and it turned out very neat. You just got to bend the line a little (takes 2 seconds with a nice twist). I'm not sure if any others are doing this...but, it works well.

TJ

tanker
11-24-2004, 02:44
Hi Eric, It depends on what temperature you want. :rolleyes: Pan temp? Fluid going to cooler? or Cool fluid comming back from the coolers? What I did was installed two (2) temp senders, with a selector switch on the dash. One sender prior to my first cooler (I have four coolers :eek: ) and the second sender prior to returning to the transmission. I can select either. Why you may ask? Well there is a 70-100 degree temperature difference between both. Most transmission heat is generated when the torque converter is unlocked, and when towing up hill in summer heat it will rise to near 300 degrees comming out of the transmission, but transmission coolers bring it down almost 100 degrees, depending on what type of coolers you have. The best is a thermostat controlled 12-volt fan cooler which comes on at 180 degrees and off at 170 degrees.
Then pan temperature would fall in between these numbers. If you tap into the steel cooling lines, use steel hydraulic compression fittings with a tee for your sender, and don't allow the sender to bottom out and touch metal, or you will be off on temps. Using any type of brass compression fittings will leak :rolleyes: and do not use copper tubing, as this will not take the vibration. Leaks will lead to big problems. I always change my filter and ATF on a yearly basis, thats less costly then a rebuild. Hope this helps out. smile.gif

ees
11-24-2004, 03:41
Thanks guys! So it looks like I need to put it somewhere between the tranny and cooler. I will look at how much more it would run me to have a second sensor to put in the return tube.

If I could have my way I would have a 6" LCD in the dash with access to every single parameter of the truck. I just feel so much more comfortable knowing what is going on.

I am working towards adding exhaust pyro, boost, and tranny temp guages.

Thanks again.

catmandoo
11-24-2004, 04:42
ees beings you have a 94 if you look on the firewall there is a black plastic plug where the gasser throttle cable goes thru ,pull this out and you have a nice little hole to run your wires thru.