PDA

View Full Version : Lube for gooseneck ball

Rockin
03-16-2004, 09:06
My wife and I picked up our new gooseneck LQ horse trailer last night (9700# dry) When I got ready to lube the ball, the dealer said he uses WD-40 on trailer balls. Said he likes it because it doesn't get grease on everything. Seems to me it would not provide sufficient lubrication for a trailer ball.

What kind of lube do you use on your trailer balls? Would WD-40 be sufficient?

How do you keep your ball clean? Cover with ball cover? Clean after use? What about B&W? I'm thinking about looking for their cover to see if I can just keep the greased ball in a box.

Craig M
03-16-2004, 11:24
I go low tech. Standard grease when towing. A gutted tennis ball over hitch when not towing(the ball will collect dirt if left uncovered). In hot weather the grease will sometimes drip down beow the ball. I just wipe it with a paper towel and not worry.

Rockin
03-17-2004, 09:03
For my bumper ball I'll just use a rubber cover. We hook the bumper tow up a couple times a week. The Gooseneck will only be used once every week or two so I'll wipe the ball off and turn it over and regrease each time.

I think WD40 is too light. I don't want to replace my ball and coupler too soon. Probably works fine in the yard where you pull 50 ft. but not 1000 miles.

Cooperrw
03-17-2004, 17:19
I'm interested in hearing something on this subject, we just picked up our 04 Charmac 3 horse GN. I have used wheel bearing grease on my bumper hitch which is use for pulling the boat. I suppose anything is better than nothing but WD-40 seems little light.

Tractor
03-17-2004, 19:02
Just imagine the friction and pressure on a gooseneck ball. I keep a high quality grease in my grease gun at all times. A high temp grease works great. Wheel bearing grease works good also, it is for higher temp. WD-40 is a waste on a ball hitch of any type. I can tell a good grease by how it holds up on my swather, and baler bearings. A good grease is really cheap in the long haul.
TRACTOR

tanker
03-18-2004, 02:18
Reese has two products, one is in a soft plastic 4oz bottle with a flip-up spout, called "on-the-ball"lube. They also have a ball lube in a plastic jar which is a white lube (like lubricate) that you would use your finger to apply it to the ball.
For those who have 2" or 2-5/16" balls, there is a plastic slip on cover, which sort of works when not in use to keep grit off the greased ball. Most times I wipe the ball off when I store my ball mount. This is all for ball hitch pull trailers, but I'm sure this will somehow apply to a gooseneck ball. smile.gif
These products are available at most RV centers, or trailer supply stores. ;)

Kidd
03-18-2004, 19:07
I use WD-40 all the time on my bumper pull and gooseneck. When the stuff dries it leaves a film of very hard lube. I have 2500 lb tongue weight on my bumper pull (2 5/16) and up to 6000 on my gooseneck. So far everything is still tight after 6 years of towing.

Found some new stuff the other day, may give it a try. Called Molydex, its a dry Moly lube in a spray can. The Cat dealer recommends it for lubeing sliding surfaces on construction equipment. If it can lube steel on steel with over 50 tons pressure... :D
K.D.

Rockin
03-19-2004, 08:48
I just sent an email to B&W. We'll see what they have to say.

peachin
03-21-2004, 07:41
I have been towing both bumper and gooseneck. My gooseneck ball is a B & W flipover and I use Marine Grease on it as it is the best. On the bumperpull ball I use nothing! Grease or oil on the bumper pull ball winds up on your pants and it seems after 10 years - no harm - but if you need some lubrication for your own mental I guess I would spray something under the hitch so when It lands on the ball there is some friction relief.