PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor for airing tires

jcummins
11-02-2003, 04:32
In a few weeks, I'm leaving very early in the morning towing my fifth wheeler from PA to Texas. Finding a place to air the fifth wheel tires is a problem where I'm currently at. I've been thanking of buying some type of air compressor. I've searched many of the RV forums, and have a mixed bag of opinions. I want something that works, and have pretty much ruled out any dc unit.

Some say the tankless $100 or so units, in particular one at Sears is somewhat a popular suggestion. Others say you need a tank, others say it is pointless to have a tank for airing tires. Weight and size of course are issues

chipper
11-02-2003, 08:19
I have a Campbell Hausfeld tankless,oillewss,under $100, that I got at Home Depot about 4 yrs ago, does a good job on my 10 plys, & pretty fast,lightweight too. :D

tanker
11-02-2003, 08:44
I installed a 12-V air compressor on a crossmember under my suburban with a truck air supply tank. (this is required for my OnSpot automatic tire chains) I also have a quick disconnect and 25' of air hose to air up my tires. Runs 90psi low and 110psi high. ;)

Inspector
11-02-2003, 09:19
Tom:
Where can I get a tank like yours? I have the compressor.
Denny ;)

jcummins
11-02-2003, 10:53
Tom a 12-v air compressor will keep up with keeping a tank at 90psi when airing tires? I didn't even think the 110v $150 pancake type air compressors at Lowes/Home Depot could do that.

jcummins
11-02-2003, 11:00
Tom a 12-v air compressor will keep up with keeping a tank at 90psi when airing tires? I didn't even think the 110v $150 pancake type air compressors at Lowes/Home Depot could do that.

Ned
11-02-2003, 17:39
I have a Husky I purchased at Home Depot. It has a 1.5 gal tank weighs 24lbs and has a maximum air pressure of 135 PSI, it cost $99. I don't pump up any thing as high as you but don't think you would have any problem going to 100lb with the pressure it will pump.
Ned

David Utz
11-02-2003, 18:48
I also have a Campbell Hausfeld tankless, oilless, under $100, etc. It's only a 1/2 HP and maxes out at 100 psi. It's fine for tires but not very fast. I also have a small air tank with quick-connect fittings that turns it into a tank type if I need a short burst of air at high volume. I can fill the tank, unhook the pump, and take just the tank to a remote location without power.

tanker
11-03-2003, 02:25
Inspector, air tanks are available from several places, Velvac from Berlin WI. plus truck parts supply houses, or truck salvage yards. You could get lucky and find an aluminum air tank off a KW, or a Pete.
RE: 12-V air compressor. Mine was supplied with my tire chain kit, with a built in switch which regulates the pressure. It does take a while to build up the pressure from zero psi to 110, but my supply tank I think is 1700+ cubic inch. I don't think I could air up several tires, but it works fine for upping my air pressure. Also good for emergency air on the road away from any supply, just ask Howie E. and Dr. Lee ;)