PDA

View Full Version : Towing Mirrors

Dale_S
11-03-2003, 17:35
I have a 102" wide body 5th wheel. Does anyone know what the best towing mirror is for a 2002
GMC Sierra 3500? The factory camping mirrors are
junk. Need somthing that will let me see down both sides. I now use the factory mirrors with clip on mirrors from Camping World. They work but
they vibrate and it's hard to see clearly.

Dale Satterlee

BigLakeDMAX
11-03-2003, 18:29
Take a look at the ttt-mirror (telescopic trailer towing mirror) by Schefenacker. I'm very pleased with them. Photos of them on my truck are available in My Pictures link in my sig. THey are over 109" tip to tip when extended and the large spotter mirror is great. Many members have them and are pleased. Search for ttt mirror and you can read some of the comments.

Website is www.ttt-mirror.com (http://www.ttt-mirror.com)

And you can read a recent review here: http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/TTTmirror.htm

Good Luck!

Don

Sneaks
11-03-2003, 18:37
Do those TTT's still have the "Aussie Whistle" problem?

HowieE
11-04-2003, 05:47
One observation I have seen with mirrors who's body is not molded as an extension of the truck body is this. I travel with my the windows down a lot of the time. In this mode bugs have a tendency to bounce off the inside edge of the mirror and come in through the window and hit me in the chest. Bugs are ok but the bee that stopped in and landed in my crutch last summer slowed me down for a few minuits.

letsgo
11-04-2003, 10:28
The women in Ontario Canada (equal rights and all) can drive or walk around topless If they so desire, But driving with no shorts on that BEETS every thing to date, MUST BE COOL.

good luck

Inspector
11-07-2003, 10:18
Tanker and me were traveling with Howie on our way to the 03 rendezvous when that bee got to him.
We were ahead and stopped and considered going back to see if he had run out of porpane and couldn't keep up.
Its a great story.
:D :D :D
Denny

a bear
11-10-2003, 15:38
Been using the TTT mirrors for a while now and have encountered no whistling. Maybe having the bug shield helps. I have been told that some whistle at about 30-40 MPH and can only be noticed with the windows down. I also was told by a forum member that this was addressed and the new mirrors have no whistle at all. In a nut shell though these mirrors are awesome. :D

Kennedy
11-10-2003, 16:00
I would like to point out that the "whistle" is so darn faint, that I doubt anybody could hear it with the windows up. Even with the windows down, you have to kinda listen for it. Hardly a major issue, but one that is being addressed.

That said, I am told there is a redesigned cover that is supposed to cure this. I have no further information at this time.

mdadgar
12-02-2003, 20:12
I just installed the redesigned, whistleless covers. They work perfectly - totally silent.

These mirrors rock. They are light years better than the lousy GM camper mirrors.

- Mark
22' V-nose enclosed race car trailer

LittleBigRig
12-22-2003, 15:23
I've had the TTTs for about a year and have mixed feelings about them (power w/heat and LED directionals). First, if it is something that is important to you, they don't win the "good looking" popularity contest. I have recieved absolutely zero questions / comments about them. I figured that I would at least get a "what in the heck are those ugly things?"... after all, the LEDs are quite unique. But nada.

Secondly, mine do whistle - it is not something that you could possibly miss. I didn't know that there was a retrofit, so I'll check into it.

Thirdly, the lack of convex glass on the main right-hand mirror is irritating. I know that everyone says that you don't need it with the smaller eye-ball, but I'm here to tell you that that right-hander is completely useless except to watch the back corner of the travel trailer.

And the last thing is that I have the black ones. They have absolutely the most easily scratched finish that I have ever seen. I would have much preferred that they simply used a textured black ABS similar to the OEM mirrors.

Would I pay $475 again, hum, probably not!

letsgo
12-23-2003, 07:38
these strap on mirrors have no vibration at any speed up to 70mph, the small convex mirrors have been replaced with the truck 6" convex mirrors. With this setup I can see all 6 wheels on the trailer and a full view around the trailer.The extentions are 6" wider than the original.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/seeyabob/truckmirror1.jpg

http://www3.sympatico.ca/seeyabob/truckmirror2.jpg

http://www3.sympatico.ca/seeyabob/truckmirror3.jpg

[ 12-23-2003, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: letsgo ]

RVGuy
12-25-2003, 20:23
I would like to comment on my TTT mirrors. I love them.

First, I have had many comments from others about mine. In fact, I've probably sold three other sets by my recommending them. This from folks who see them in campgrounds etc. and stop by to ask questions about them.

Mine DID have the whistle. In fact, I worked with Craig in TTT's design group by running their prototype cover for several weeks in all conditions. Their new design eliminates all whistle noise there was.

For towing, where the primary use for the right mirror is to see into your blind spot without having to turn, it does this very well. Additionally one wants to see far down the side and to the rear. Again, these mirrors do well.

These mirrors can not be compared to non-towing type mirrors...that is, those with the convex shapes for wide viewing.

In my opinion, these are the best on the market and IMHO look good to.

Ralph Fichtl
12-27-2003, 08:17
Has anyone tried these mirrors, and what do you think about them?
Kennedy website / Lucerix mirrors (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=149)

Kennedy
12-28-2003, 07:09
Ralph, I gotta tell you, the TTT mirrors have gotten MUCH more positive response than the Lucerix/Cipa units, and have had way fewer problems...

Ralph Fichtl
12-28-2003, 08:45
Bummer, I like the looks of the Lucerix better along with the price. You mentioned problems, may I ask what kind?

Rockin
12-29-2003, 06:00
How wide are your trailers? I am looking at an 8' wide gooseneck horse trailer. I've heard they are quite hard to see around. Just curious how this compares to typical 5ers and tt's.

ctm
01-04-2004, 18:32
I bought the extendable(electric) heated mirrors from Pendleton,or. They are fine

03 350 chevy 4x4 long d/dur/allison duelly towing 40 ft. 5th full time

mdadgar
01-06-2004, 19:44
My race trailer is 102" wide and 26' long including the 4-foot V. I can see down the passenger side just fine with the TTT mirrors. I could NOT see with the crappy GM camper mirrors.

The TTT mirrors are exceptionally good and worth the money.

- Mark

Pahaska
01-13-2004, 17:49
I just installed the full-option TTT mirrors and pulled my 102" wide 26' Airstream 425 miles this last week. I can just barely see down the sides of the Airstream when running straight ahead. Absolutely no vibration.

I am super pleased with the TTT mirrors. I like the non-convex right side mirror because it makes it a lot easier to judge when I can pull in after passing. :eek:

LittleBigRig
02-28-2004, 08:02
I have to report that I had my first comment in over a year of owning my TTTs - and it was a positive one! I may have sounded like I was blasting the mirrors on my earlier post, but it certainly wasn't my intention.

Style-wise, the mirrors look like they were designed for the "wedgier' looking bodystyle of late. Unfortunately, I have the older body style and mine look a bit out of place. Hey, maybe I should buy a new truck to match my TTTs?

Regarding the comment I made regarding the limited use of the main right side mirror, I still feel that the low-height profile provides too short of a view of the blind spot. Convex glass would help, but it also has its drawbacks. If you think of how west coast mirrors work you can better understand my point. Because they give you more vertical viewing area, this translates to more viewable road distance. Another TTT model that does provide a better view is the OEM model on the F-250 - and it is because the mirror is taller. IMHO, the Ford mirrors are the best in the industry and I wish mine were more like those!

Oh yeah, I'll stand by my recommendation that they should offer a textured ABS cover instead of the painted black one. It really doesn't look that good after a summertime trip through Florida's Love Bug country!

One thing that I will say is that the build-quality is exceptional. I'm just wondering who to contact to resolve that whistle problem.

BigLakeDMAX
02-28-2004, 18:02
Send an email to Schefenacker customer service through the tttmirror.com site - they'll express you a set of the new covers that solve the whistle - free!

gonebiken
03-01-2004, 12:45
Originally posted by letsgo:
these strap on mirrors have no vibration at any speed up to 70mph, the small convex mirrors have been replaced with the truck 6" convex mirrors. With this setup I can see all 6 wheels on the trailer and a full view around the trailer.The extentions are 6" wider than the original.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/seeyabob/truckmirror1.jpg

http://www3.sympatico.ca/seeyabob/truckmirror2.jpg

http://www3.sympatico.ca/seeyabob/truckmirror3.jpg