PDA

View Full Version : Side to side level on TT

Longreach
11-05-2003, 12:11
Just noticed my 28'TT is out of level side to side.... dual axle and leaf springs.

In addition to redistributing stored interior items what after market solutions would allow
compensation for any remaining out of level condition side to side and improve overall towing characteristics.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Richard

tanker
11-05-2003, 14:58
Richard, I assume you are referring to the TT when hitched to your truck. If so you must have a weak spring or damaged suspension link. You didn't say how much it is leaning. Yes if you load heavy on one side such as the side with your fresh water tank, you will have some lean.
First inflate tires to proper inflation, all equal. Park it on a known level pavement. If it is still leaning, take some measurements from frame to pavement, and also from frame to axle. Compare each side. I had to replace all 4 of my springs on my Jayco. I broke a spring in Wyoming, but they only did one and it was not equal to the others, so I replaced all four when I got back home. Check the spring bushings as well. The measurements should tell the story. Let us know how you make out. smile.gif

Longreach
11-06-2003, 04:54
Tanker. Thanks for your reply.
You are correct it is when hitched, and it was noticed by another TT traveling with me on a recent outing.
The unit has kitchen on right side above axles and most of the significant storage is also there. I am moving what I can of stored items to other locations to try and minimize this list condition.
I will take your advice and check those things you mentioned....but was wondering if an air bag supplement or other such suspension device could be added to "fine tune" this condition assuming springs are ok etc etc.
Seems unlikely that springs are bad since its an 2003 unit....and of course just out of warranty.
Thanks again,
Richard

letsgo
11-06-2003, 08:18
Definatly don't compensate for an out of balance trailer with air bags, prove to yourself first its either a spring or an out of balance problem first. also keep all heavy articals like canned goods down at floor level.

good luck

motovet
11-06-2003, 12:24
Richard,you might want to hit the scales and see what each side weighs. Some manufacturers don't build to distribute weight as well as others. Most of my storage is on the kitchen side as well,though the roadside slide helps balance the weight. Through the years I have minimized my stored items to only the necessities that helps keep things even. I only wish I could do that at home. Where is your water tank?

Longreach
11-07-2003, 09:52
letsgo/ motovet
Thanks for both your replies. After further consideration my sense is that (out of level) is builder and design induced. Kitchen and most storage cabinetry is on curb side of unit while slide with sofa/ dinette is roadside/water tank is forward in middle under Queen bed.
I will redistribute non essentials and canned goods to opposite side and low to under seat storage and then measure per previous suggestions
Hopefully this will solve issue.
Thanks again to all for your input.
My comment on air bag system was intended as a fine tune after determining that springs ok. There are no shocks on this unit and was considering this to kill two birds with one stone.
A great weekend to all!
Richard

arveetek
11-08-2003, 10:43
Richard,

Out of curiousity, does the trailer still lean when the slide out is extended? Perhaps if you level the trailer when the slide is retracted, it will end up leaning the other direction when extended.

Casey