PDA

View Full Version : price qoute on wiring

Keith Richards
03-18-2004, 19:18
I'm getting ready to take the new trailer for a trip,and I need to get new trailer wiring for my truck.Unfortunately neither of the hookups I already have will work.It's too involved for me to do and was quoted $300 for the job.Does that sound fair?I need the electric brake wiring and everything.

sturgeon-phish
03-18-2004, 23:11
Is that for parts and labor? If the price includes parts what brake controller?

arveetek
03-19-2004, 09:23
I usually charge $75 labor plus parts to install wiring, brake control, and 7-way plug on trucks without the factory wiring. It takes some time to properly run the charge and brake line from front to rear, and then install the brake controller under the dash. The newer trucks with factory wiring makes a world of difference! You can install a BC in 5 minutes, instead of 1.5 to 2 hours!

A good quality brake control starts around $75, a 7-way plug is $5, and misc. wire and connector can run another $15, so that would be at least $170 installed, plus tax. If you're getting a great BC, like the Prodigy, then $300 might not be too far off.

Casey

Keith Richards
03-19-2004, 17:25
Thanks.I'm not sure what brake controller, but at least this sounds in the right ballpark.He said it would be a few hours,and me being a tradesman myself know how costly hours can be when youre talking labor and materials.

tanker
03-20-2004, 02:00
Casey, and others. The Labour rate in the Northeast is higher than in the Midwest and South. Many shops charge $75+ per hour. That may also be a factor. Then some can charge whatever they want. :rolleyes: Some shops figure if a person won't or can't do it themselves, they can hit you up for almost any amount. Is it fair? :rolleyes: No, but it happens. smile.gif

arveetek
03-20-2004, 05:35
I'm currently at $50 an hour, which seems like a lot to myself, but I'm on the low end of the RV repair shops. The dealers near me are at $60-65. While on vacation last fall, my father ran across an RV dealer in Florida charging $100 an hour! :eek:

Casey