PDA

View Full Version : leaf springs or air bags

Murray the Cop
03-21-2004, 04:45
After reading the replys to the pin weight post it looks like I'm gonna be over GVWR. My question is do the air bags add payload capacity the way extra leaf springs would? If a 3500 SRW GVWR is 9900,and the only difference is the tire size and 2 extra leafs,I'll do the work. I just didn't want to lift the rear on the truck (with the exta leafs) because it allready sits kinda high when it's empty. If I can get the same result in capacity gain with the air bags,I'd rather do that.Thanks.
Anthony

Sneaks
03-21-2004, 06:28
I'm gonna incur the wrath of the Weight Police here :rolleyes: but that ain't unusual. For their benefit, if you are over the manufacturers printed ratings, there is nothing you can do to change those. They are decreed by the manufacturer based on both real testing and liability avoidance.

With that said, you will NOT get your insurance cancelled, increased insurance rates, tickets for running overloaded or sued if you are towing with a pinweight that is technically over those ratings. You will hear dozens of dire warnings but here in the USA they are simply urban legends. Former and active Highway Patrolmen, firemen, emergency workers, insurance agents and attorneys on RV forums have all pointed this out from experience but the followers of the Word of MFG insist they will befall you and you will kill yourself and your family. Funny thing is I've been towing 5'ers since 1975 and on the internet since 1984 and not once have they given a verifiable cite.

To answer your question, my truck has air bags instead of leaf springs because early in it's life it towed a 32 ft. Hitchiker with a pin weight approaching 2500 lbs. Towing was comfortable and not towing was too, as long as the bags were dropped to 5#. 30# levelled the truck while towing. Oh, and it never had trouble stopping either. :eek:

peachin
03-21-2004, 07:17
So, where do we go from here - I have a 2500HD
I would like to add to my rear support system

What Air Bag configuration should I purchase
what extras do I need - what should the cost be
- I guess that mostly I'll feel better and every
10th vehicle coming at me will not blink their lights at night - although I don't notice the front being lifted when the vehicle is level stopped with my 12,000 pound gooseneck is attached.

So...I'm interested in the details of the best
combination of Air Bags and it's cost. Thanks

Sneaks
03-21-2004, 07:53
The bulk of the airbags around are built by Firestone Ride-rite (http://www.ride-rite.com/Ride-Rite.htm) Cost varies, but if you don't want an on board compressor you can get them for around $275 or less. No other extras are needed though you might check if it will work with the popular Transfer Flow replacement OEM fuel tank. Mine will.

My hint for installation is to bring both fill hoses to the same point, be they in the wheel well driver side or in the license plate bolt holes at the rear. I don't bother with on board compressors, a hand held bicycle pump is sufficient even for a geezer like me. Hook up, pump 'till it's level and go.

tanker
03-21-2004, 15:32
I'm running air bags as an added benefit. I would like to install a leveling valve so that my truck remains the same height, no matter how much weight is added. I have an air compressor on board with a dual pressure gauge, and dual air regulators. That way when leaning to one side all the air is not shifted to the other side. Like "Sneaks" said keep both bags at the same pressure. This will only add to the spring rating, not anything else. Most everyone runs over weight anyway, not that I think its good, but sometimes its what a man has to do. tongue.gif

Rockin
03-22-2004, 06:36
Peachin. Noticed you have a LQ horse trailer. We just picked ours up a week ago.

I have Firestone air bags in my truck. They get the job done. Kennedy has some airbags that are supposed to be better than the Firestones. Once I air the tires and bags, the truck rides level and stabil going down the road.