PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor and maintaining tire pressure

Rockin
03-22-2004, 06:50
I need to get an air compressor for the garage so I don't have to use the gas station compressors. What does it take in an air compressor to be able to air my tires to 80psi without waiting half an hour to get there? When I buy, I may as well get a compressor that can also run air tools. Any good recommendations on what I need?

It took me as long last night to air down from high pressure as filling up. Is there a quicker way to lower tire pressure? Maybe once I have a compressor, let a lot of presure out and then air back up?

GBurton
03-22-2004, 07:40
Rockin

If you have an air compressor that has a maximum operating pressure of 80 or 90 pounds it will take longer to fill your tires to 80 lb than a compressor that fills it

GotDezl
03-22-2004, 19:46
Originally posted by Rockin:
I need to get an air compressor for the garage so I don't have to use the gas station compressors. What does it take in an air compressor to be able to air my tires to 80psi without waiting half an hour to get there? When I buy, I may as well get a compressor that can also run air tools. Any good recommendations on what I need?

It took me as long last night to air down from high pressure as filling up. Is there a quicker way to lower tire pressure? Maybe once I have a compressor, let a lot of presure out and then air back up?

GotDezl
03-22-2004, 19:59
If you want portable take a look at Vi Air compressors.

They are designed for Off Road quick deflate/inflate. I have the portable 200p and it comes with case and 25ft hose. They hook up directly to your battery.

Quiet and fast...

JoeyD
03-28-2004, 14:29
Go with Ingersol/Rand. They are the best available.

TurboDiverArt
03-28-2004, 16:23
As indicated, you should decide on the tools you want to run. Just guessing but any compressor that is going to run typical air tools is plenty for your tires. Impact wrenches typically don't really drain your tank much cause they are used in quick blasts so not really a god indication. Most new compressors are going to charge to 125 minimum. Check the cycle time of the compressor, this will tell you how long you need to wait to get up to pressure. Another thing to consider is voltage. The 110 models are typically not as large and don't have as powerful of motors regardless of what the CFM rating is.... Tools like grinders, cut off wheels DA's, air ratchets, etc. draw a lot of air as when used it's not in a quick burst like a blow gun or impact wrench. I would suggest something of at least 25-30 gallons and 3.5 - 5HP. I'm waiting for my 15 year old 25 gallon/3.5HP Craftsman to break then I'll get a new bigger 60 gallon 175psi unit!

Stick with a name brand where you'll always be able to get parts if it breaks and you'll be OK. I assume you're not a mechanic so won't have to rely on it all the time. For the money a Craftsman or Campbell unit should be fine!

Art.