PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Brake

conway
11-12-2003, 11:02
I had previously posted a topic in the drivetrain area before the towing forum was added. I was having trouble with my Banks Exhaust Brake. It seems that it was sticking and so the back pressure was causing the truck to lose power. Banks has acknowledged a machining problem and is sending out a new unit. I asked them about a quieter muffler as I had also purchased their 4" exhaust and they are sending me a new muffler. It is nice to know that they provide service to their customers.

HowieE
11-12-2003, 13:04
You say the exhaust brake is sticking due to a machineing problem. If the Banks unit is anything like my BD exhaust brake there may be 2 different things that can be sticking. The flap in the brake itself or the selenoid that actuates the brake. The flapper should never close to a point of sticking because there has to be some exhaust blow by even when the brake is closed to prevent EGT overheating.
My BD brake has had the selenoid stick several times thus locking the brake on and resulting in zero prower. When this happens I can either disconnect the linkage and wire the flapper open or swap the vacuum lines to cause the operating piston to open the flapper. If your system is vacuum operated and you think it is the selenoid remove it and open it up. You will most likely find the operation rod in the selenoid has dirt or rust scale on it. Polish the rod and the bore in the selenoid and clean the spool valve and reassemble it. The reason I say look at the operating rod first is there is a vent port on that end and there is where the moisture enters the valve.

tpitt
11-12-2003, 19:35
Howie E
Where is your vent located? I have never had a problem with any of the BD exhaust brakes I have installed, (40+) except one. This was on a Duramax, and the vent came right off of the air ram. (Duramaxs are air activated) BD makes a retrofit kit which moves the vent to a better location.
I also have a remote mount exhaust brake on my 87 Sub. and I vented it to under the hood where there isn't any chance of picking up moisture when it is operating.
All of their later brakes come with a remote vent. On the Fords & Dodges I run the vent back into the cab. Duramaxs I vent under the left fender brace. Terry
On edit You did say where yours was vented, I guess I should pay more attention. :D Call BD and ask for a remote vent. I'm assuming your spool valve is located on the frame. If they don't send you one let me know and I'll send you one. I believe you still have my email address.

HowieE
11-13-2003, 06:23
tpitt
The system vent, for the operating piston, you are refering to is located on the fire wall behind the windshield wiper motor.
The selenoid itsefl has a very small in the little black cap on the selenoid. Yes my selenoid is mounted on the inside of the frame rail. When I removered the selenoid to investigate why the it stuck I found rust scale under this cap and the rod binding. Cleaning the rod cured the problem for several months. The second failure I honed the barrel till the rod would fall through the selenoid barrel freely.

tanker
11-13-2003, 16:00
I have the same "BD" brake on my suburban and not a problem yet :rolleyes: But then I don't ford any streams or rivers. smile.gif