PDA

View Full Version : hub/wheel temperature

Rockin
03-24-2004, 09:55
After pulling my trailer around town, the hubs and wheels were noticeably warm. Same with the truck wheels. (10000# goose neck) Is this normal or should I check for dragging brakes? It is a brand new trailer. I could comfortably hold my hand on the wheel. We drove 20 miles at 50 mph with stops every 1-3 miles. Felt wheels after backing into parking spot.

GBurton
03-24-2004, 11:47
Rockin
Sounds normal to me. I would be a lot more concerned if you had one cold wheel and the others were warm. I expect my brakes to get warm to the touch in normal operation. If you had a brake draging you might burn your hand if you touched that wheel.

FYI, may I be so bold as to suggest that when you are checking the wheels you use the back of your hand and just bring your hand close but not in contact with the metal until you get an idea as to the temperature. If you do have a HOT wheel the back of your hand is a lot more sensitive to heat and responds faster than the tougher part of your fingers.

George

tanker
03-24-2004, 16:40
Rockin, George is correct on feeling for hot hubs etc. I have been checking mine almost everytime we stop for a rest. They will get warm just running without using the brakes. The faster (mph) and the heavier the load, more heat. If you did a lot of braking then they will be hot. I try to slow down without brakes, going into a rest area, exhaust brake, and downshifting, etc. That way I'll know if I have a hot bearing. I always pack my wheel bearings each season, so I know what condition things are in. On my new trailer I have "Nev-r-Lube" bearings :rolleyes: So we'll see how they go. I guess I should pull the hub and see how the brakes are doing each year. smile.gif

HowieE
03-27-2004, 09:43
If you want to test things out travel about 20 or 30 miles on a turnpike were you will not have to use your brakes at all for that distance. As Tanker mentioned come to a stop without using the brakes, stopping while going up hill, and then check things out. If you have a draging brake the wheel will be hot further from the axle center than if you have a tight bearing.

Radio Shack sells a infer red thermomter for about $25.00. I use mine to check tire and hub temperatures when stopped. Saves the back of my hand.

CleviteKid
03-27-2004, 09:53
Howie prefers to singe the hairs on the back of his hand while cooking brats.

That's why he is the best brat cook ever - he gets right in there to keep 'em turnin' and cook 'em nice and even. Even at the risk to his personal health and well-being. What a trooper :D ! ! !

The Clevite Kid

tanker
03-27-2004, 17:53
Clevite kid is right about Howie! :D Maybe he will use something from Radio Shack, to prevent burnt hairs while doing brat's! :D