PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass

saywhat
03-28-2004, 05:57
Front on my 1999 H-R fifthwheel is fiberglass.It does not shine out like it should and has a yellowish tint to it.Tried cleaning it with Dawn dish soap and re-waxing to no avail.I think the finish is breaking down.I was wondering if it could be painted and if so any special precautions to take?

tanker
03-28-2004, 15:39
The finish on the fiberglass nose and rear should be a gelcoat, which was sprayed into the mold when it was laid up. I doubt very much if HR painted it. Sun and time will take its toll on almost any finish. I would give a good rub with polishing compound, then if that doesn't work try rubbing compound, its a little more agressive. Do it on a spot that won't show too much. If this fails, then you could have it painted. I would use a body shop that has done this before, not that its a real big deal, but I would not attempt to use spray cans, if you want it to look good. Some one else may have a better suggestion on this. smile.gif

Sneaks
03-28-2004, 16:48
Tanker is right. Time and the sun take their toll on gel coats. With that said, I would personally stay away from an auto body shop and, instead, go to a place that specializes in fiberglass boat repair. Then I would have it painted with a boat product called "Awlgrip" which is made especially for boats in marine environments which are much harsher than even your Wisconsin Winters.

Here in the San Diego area, it's easy to find an excellent boatyard to do the job. What it's like where you are is an entirely different story I suppose....

Tough Guy
03-28-2004, 18:12
Gel-Coat can be re-sprayed, as mentioned a reputable boat facility should be up to this task.

Cheers

FisHn2DMax
03-28-2004, 22:55
Don't paint it!!! Have it re-gel coated at a local boat glass shop. Not a big deal and will yeild a much nicer result than having a auto body shop paint over a UV yellowing gel-coat surface. I highly doubt you'll be able to rub out the yellowing. You'll need to have it re-gel coated for just slightly more $$$ than painting.