PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Lights for "Thank You"

3-Fan
11-20-2003, 07:06
When I'm out pulling the 5er and I pass a big rig, he usually flashes his lights to let me know it is safe to cut back into the right lane. I've seen the truckers be able to manually flash their running lights on the trailer for a thank you. If I did that my headlights would go off too. But I normally just tap the brakes lightly to give him a thank you.

My question, finally, do the truckers have a seperate switch for just their running lights to do this? Can something like this be done on my rig without too much hassle?

DOG
11-20-2003, 07:36
most have seperate switches. some have an inerterupt switch

CleviteKid
11-20-2003, 07:41
Hey 3-Fan,

Visited your albums and want to congratulate you on your Ohio PE.

Dr. Lee Ohio PE # 44024 :cool:
also registered in California, Virginia, and Florida

HowieE
11-20-2003, 08:56
GM uses a seperate fuse for the parking lights in most cases. Locate this fuse and the wire leading from it to the headlight switch. To test it turn on your lights and pull the fuse. If only the parking lights go out you can install a relay, using the normaly closed terminals, in that wire and control it from a push button switch in the cab. Now any time you hit the switch your parking lights will go out. If you trailer is wired in a normal way this will also turn your running light out on the trailer.
I have my daytime running lights relayed to signal trucks that they can come back in once they have passed but have not yet relayied the parking lights. Thanks for making me think this one out.

3-Fan
11-20-2003, 09:16
HowieE,

Great! Thanks for the info. Sounds like something to do during the cold winter months ahead. Just what I need, something else to tinker with.

CleviteKid,

Thanks for the congrats. Why did you get your PE in Ohio? Did you do some consulting up this way? Ohio is good enough for me now. Of course we have been getting alot of bridge designs in West Virgina lately, so my pursue tracking that liscense down too.

rjschoolcraft
11-20-2003, 09:30
I usually just flash my hazard lights three or four times. I've thought about wiring in a switch like HowieE described...always seems to be something more pressing. ;)

Heartbeat Hauler
11-20-2003, 10:32
Ditto what ronniejoe said.
I press my hazard lights and let'em flash a time or two. Always pays to be courteous.
JP

crafty
11-20-2003, 11:55
What I do to say thanks when I pass someone is to flash the Cargo Light on the back of the cab. As far as flashing the headlights, we Canadians can't shut them off so all I do is flash the high beams or turn on the 4ways. :D :D :D

Colorado Kid
11-20-2003, 12:11
Hey 3-Fan, quite a ceremony for becoming an Ohio Professional Engineer, all I got was an envelope full of letters and certificates from the Colorado Board. I passed the exam this past April (first, last and only attempt) :D . Colorado PE 37618.

I suspect that the reason Dr. Lee is registered in Ohio has something to do with his (historic) employment at Clevite (the bearing manufacturer), but I've been wrong before. ;)

DmaxMaverick
11-20-2003, 13:26
The newer Silverado/Sierra trucks have separate circuits for the trailer lighting, charging and brakes. Interupting the trailer marker lights would be simple by accessing the circuit at the fuse panel (under hood) with a spring loaded N/C toggle or push button. You could also access it anywhere in the trailering wire harness. This would only blink the trailer tail/marker lights, which is the same setup that most OTR rigs have (most newer tractor models have an OEM interupter switch on the panel, many older models have separate switches for tractor/trailer lighting).

If you interupt your parking lights, it will blink at all four corners. Using the cargo light with a 5'er in tow just lights up the logo on the front of the trailer. Neat, but doesn't get the job done.

The "no tools required" method would be to just use the 4-ways for a couple flashes (blinks all 4 corners), or tap the brake pedal, which is what I do.

hd90rider
11-20-2003, 14:00
You should really tap in the harness that goes to the trailer plug,install a switch and also a circuit breaker. That way it is not putting a load on your stock light switch. Almost all of us that tow these units for delivery have done this ,as it has happened that some factory light switches have shorted out,and in a couple cases,caught fire. Yes,I know,many of you have towed for years without a problem,happy for you, but just the one time it does happen and you can't put the fire out, hope ya have good insurance. For an hour or 2 work and around $25 bucks, I'll install the switch & circuit breaker. :cool:

crafty
11-20-2003, 16:50
When I mentioned using the Cargo light,I just use this when I don't have a trailer in tow. :D :D :D

TSimpler
11-20-2003, 17:20
Hay all you guys with PE's. I am studing for my Civil Engineer Degree. (My GI Bill is really paying off after all those years).

Any advice would be welcome.

Trent

TSimpler@direcpc.com

3-Fan
11-21-2003, 04:49
TSimpler,

How I got through college, other than lost of beer on the weekends, was to study in groups. What one of you doesn't know the others may and vice versa. Keep all of your books (civil classes) for future reference even if you don't think you'll ever need them. I do bridge designs, but who would have known I would have to use hydraulics and hydrology for the designs too.

When you goto study for your PE, start about 3 months before hand studying. I spent about 2 hours and night 4-5 times a week studying. Get a good study manual and make sure you take all the references with you that they recommend to you. I literally had a huge suitcase filled with books. Knowing where to find the formula or answer fast is the key. 8 hours goes by pretty quick on test day.

Best of luck!!
Greg