PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Trailer Tires

DonG
11-20-2003, 14:09
What is a good material to spray, or rub onto trailer tires to keep them healthy when not in use for several months???

Thanks, Don

DmaxMaverick
11-20-2003, 14:55
Shade!

tanker
11-20-2003, 16:38
There are several products that spray on, but read the label first. I use covers on mine during a long stay over a week or so, and during winter storage. They are available from Camping World, and other RV suppliers. Several sizes as well. Its the sun that takes it toll on tires. smile.gif

sturgeon-phish
11-20-2003, 18:21
A piece of plywood cut to size to fit under the wheel well works great and lasts for years.

DonG
11-20-2003, 23:12
Most of the time the trailer is shaded by trees or the house, and I have placed a strip of heavy duty 1/8 inch thick plastic under the tires to get them off the ground.
I will look into getting covers from Camping World.

Thanks for all the ideas. I just thought there was a material that you could spray on to help protect them.

Don

letsgo
11-21-2003, 06:46
For the last 15 years on my cars truck and trailer I have sprayed Armarol on the tires and where the rim and tire meet I spray Rustcheck (a rust inhibitor) to prevent oxidization of the rim (don't use WD40).
The tires have not been harmed in any way, in the salt belt after 5 or 6 years mag and some times steel rims become pited at the point of rubber contact, then the rim has to be ground to prevent air leaks (more money). anyway it works for me!!!

good luck

Inspector
11-21-2003, 17:10
The Auto parts stores will sell you many kinds of tire dressings. They all have one thing in common. They are petroleum based. This is the worse thing that you can do to your tires especially trailer tires that sit for extended periods of time. The petrol based dressings tend to dry the lubricants in the rubber compounds out and cause cracking in the side walls. For this reason I use only water based dressings. Tire stores like Discount and others use only water based dressings. These dressings make your tires look like new without making them shine. Spray it on and leave it or wipe in off. Your tires will really look good and at the same time you won't have to worry about side wall cracking.
Denny :D

DonG
11-21-2003, 22:21
Thank You Denny,
I thought there was something wrong with the standard tire dressings, but I did not know any details.

I will check out Discount Tire.

Don

stolley
11-26-2003, 19:55
303 Aerospace Protectant is the only product I'll spend my money on to apply to vinyl, rubber, or fiberglass. No petroleum distillates, and the best UV inhibitors. I buy it by the gallon at Campingworld. Here's an informative link on the 303 website: http://www.303products.com/techinfo/tires1.htm

DonG
11-26-2003, 21:38
stolley,

Good to see you are still around. I actually have some 303 protectant that I have used on the walls and roof of the trailer for UV protection. Thanks for the hint on the tire preservation.

How is your Automate doing? I assume you are still enjoying it as much as possible.

Don

stolley
11-27-2003, 11:12
Hi Don,
Yes I'm always lurking around. :D
The Automate is making our full-time RV lifestyle a good one. When travelling, it's hard to be on the 'net that much. But now that we're in one place for the winter, with the luxury of high-speed cable internet right into the RV, I'm trying to catch-up on all the boards.
Happy Turkey Day!
Scott