PDA

View Full Version : Seattle to Yellowstone

woodchuck
03-30-2004, 21:12
We are planning a trip to Yellowstone. We have a l992 stock GMC 2500 6.5L pulling a 30' travel trailer. There are two routes we know of, east on I-90 going up the 4th of July pass from Idaho to Montana, then down into Yellowstone or down through Oregon, across Idaho and over the Teton pass. Our campground is south of Yellowstone and north of Grand Teton National Park. Does anyone have any experience with these two routes? Is one better than the other and what should we expect with our rig? This will be our first trip out of state with this truck. Thanks for any help you can give.

Tough Guy
03-30-2004, 22:09
It appears to me that Redmond to Yellowstone via I-90 would be the quickest and most direct route. You would have 4th of July, Lookout, and Pipestone pass to contend with, all of which are 6% grades and several miles each. Why not take a different route each way?

How heavy is your trailer? I would expect your truck to do fine as long as your maintenance has been good, and you're not too heavy.

When I travel long distance I plan for a breakdown at the most inconvenient time and place. I carry 5 gallons of Diesel, an extra fan belt, ATF, engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and enough tools and hoses/parts to get me to civilization in a worst case scenario. Make sure your tires are up to the task as well, truck and trailer...carry spares for both.

Cheers

MTTwister
03-31-2004, 13:46
But you still would have to drag that 30' trailer through the park.

If you go to West Yellowstone entrance, via Bozeman - you still have the cottonwood pass outside of Cardwell / Whitehall.

West entrance would give you some better roads for a little bit, then you turn south and have a few passes in the park and the well- under-maintained roads.

You could also turn south at Cardwell and take the Ennis route to the Park.

If you go past Bozeman, over the Bozeman pass - not that bad heading east, just seems to climb forever out of Livingston heading West ( it'd be a down hill run for you) you can head south out of Livingston and use the north entrance at Gardnier. That has some narrow "trails" in it too.

If you don't re-trace your steps, one way or another you'll be towing thru the park. Remember to slow down and enjoy the view ( nobody else seems to :rolleyes: )

rwpierce
03-31-2004, 19:46
When you turn off I90 at Cardwell go to Lewis & Clark Caverns. There is a nice state Park campground there and the guided tour through the cavern is fantastic!When you get to Ennis drop the trailor and head west to Virgina City and Nevada City.They are worth seeing.I would go in at West Yellowstone and see the wolves and bears there. Take your rig on down to your campground and take off on day trips from there. I wouldn't drag it all around through the park. A beautiful side trip would be through Hayden Valley on over to Cooke City and up over Beartooth Summit at 10947' to Redlodge Montana.When you leave your campground going south to Jackson every campground around Jackson will be full and very expensive. KOA there charged us $57 @ day. If you are there July 4 they have what is called Fire in the Hole that is the most spectacular fireworks display you will ever see. You do not want to go over Teton Pass. NO WAY! Go out south of Jackson on 191 to 26 to Idaho Falls.Take 20 across to Mountain Home and see Craters of the Moon NP on the way .I've been across all of that with my 6.2L pulling my Airstream.Just some suggestions.

Colorado Kid
04-01-2004, 12:05
I'll second the part about Teton Pass, I have towed the 5th wheel up it going west out of Jackson with my D-max, but I won't do it eastbound with a trailer. I don't think your 6.5 will do as well on power or cooling and I was in 2nd out of 6 on the climb, with the cooling fan howling away. If I were to come down the east side I think I'd have to be in 1st gear and on the brakes, I know my wife's Honda Odyssey did not have a low enough gear. We vist friends in Ashton, ID most summers, but we take the "low road" suggested by rwpierce to Idaho Falls if we're towing. Just had to climb Teton once on principle. :D

MartyB
04-01-2004, 18:30
I;ve done the I90 and south route back in 92 with previous truck. Not too bad, although my 6.5 would out do the 88 TBI 454 in a heart beat on all the hills going east. ALso did the same route to the Dayton roundezvous, no problems to speak of.

I have not driven Teton pass to know how bad it is, most 6% grades with my stock setup, I can usually go about 40'ish in 3rd, ie I have a manual 5 spd, about 50 in direct if I have enough power, ie snoqualmie, and up vantage hills, both ways. The pass's thru Idaho and Montana I am usually down into 3rd, also 3rd on the others if a head wind is around. The majority of the hills in Yellowstone, I did in 3rd or 2nd, mostly because I was going slow to let the kids see the scenery etc, the 454 was all it could do to do 25 in 1st, a TH400 tranny!

Personally, depending upon where you are at in Redmond, Sahallee and Inglewood hill are worst than any of the Interstate pass's at 10-12%, a few in somerset are above 15%. SO teh local roads for steepness are worst.

Marty

ropinfool
04-01-2004, 18:42
I did the 90 route 2 years ago in July and almost got snowed in in Montana! I think I was around Butte. I was driving an old F-250 w/460 5 speed pulling a 35' 5th. Got 4 mpg going and 7 coming back. Good luck! John