PDA

View Full Version : Fuel heater failure

duluthsvo
03-19-2005, 17:35
Truck thru a couple bogus codes which led me to the fuel heater (element at the base of the fuel filter housing). How common of a failure is this? Any one have one they's like to sell me before having to give cash to the dealer??? Please email me if you do. DuluthSVO

Bigg R
03-19-2005, 18:56
If you have to buy one from the dealer,buy the whole filter assembly it is only a few dollars more than just the heater and you don't have to disassemble yours! Also comes with a new filter so its "plug and play". I don't know why they sell them this way!!!!

Bigg R

duluthsvo
03-20-2005, 05:32
Unfortunetly, this is the only way the dealer sells the replacement part (as an assembly). This is why I was looking for a used one to pull the fuel heater. DuluthSVO

radrecon69
03-20-2005, 09:35
Mine went out I just use Diesel fuel additive and haven't had any problems

Rick

CareyWeber
03-20-2005, 09:44
I'd ask a Stanadyne fuel injection pump shop to get you one rather a GM dealer.

Stanadyne's part #

http://www.stanadyne.com/dsg/dsg_region_search.asp?region=1

http://www.diesel.org/pubs/directory/us_service_member_list.htm

Carey

Dvldog 8793
03-20-2005, 18:11
Howdy
Check with John at Turbo Diesel Injection service(Authorized Stanodyne shop) on the west side of town. I have had good luck with him and he seems to know what he's doing. If you do go to see him tell him that I said Howdy.
Also I have many of the mods(Turbo Master,IC no vac pump, HeathECM ect ect ...) that you are thinking about and a very similar truck if you are ever out in Grand Rapids look me up. Come to think of it I have a JK boost control laying around someplace that I can part with if youre interested.
L8r
Conley Janssen
USMC87-93

tom.mcinerney
03-21-2005, 08:43
Consider a complete used assembly from Avant Salvage or Peninsular. I got a nice one from Avant for $25. Suggest specify the later heater element with molded plastic base, as these seem less likely to leak.

curmudge1
03-21-2005, 08:57
Can you please share your diagnostic experiences? I.e., symptoms, codes, etc. I'm getting SES & DTC 36 symptoms when things are cold, before the engine is really warmed up. No other problems, & this goes away when the air temp is warm, or when the engine gets nice & warmed up. So I'm wondering if my fuel heater is out. And/or it's the winterized fuel causing/contributing. No replies to an earlier post I did. Appreciate any of your experience you'd care to share. Thanks.
--
David Strom

duluthsvo
03-22-2005, 04:36
Curmudge1 - While driving to work (15 minute drive) the truck started to lay down and a slight surge showed up. The check engine light came on 3/4 of the way there under part load (engine fully warm and all parameters normal). Upon lifting, the check engine light went out. I continued to work (about a mile) and the check engine light came on one more time and then turned off when I lifted the throttle. I figured it was maybe the vacuum pump (no / limited boost, surge, and codes). At the end of the day, I tried to limp it home only to find that the glow plugs weren't coming on and no tach input. I ran the codes and got the wastegate and glow plug failure. Closer inspection showed a ENG 1 fuse bad (which popped every time I hit the ignition "run"). I checked for grounds until I found the fuel heater and realized that most of the engine sensors were run together and the codes I got were likely down stream of the real failure. After unplugging the sensor, everything shows good and I get nothing for codes. Hope this helps and thanks the members for the Stanadyne tip. DuluthSVO