PDA

View Full Version : Trailer towing

watanabe
11-26-2003, 07:33
Hello,
I am in the process of preparing to haul approximatley 12k to 13k daily over three peaks which ascend and descend 1200 ft at grades of 12%.
The tow vehcile is 2001 stock 2500HD LS D/A combo.
In light of the fact that I will be maxing the manufactures specs, what additional options should I consider adding for safty and perfomance.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

rjschoolcraft
11-26-2003, 10:43
Is this a goose neck or 5th wheel? Either way, you should probably invest in the air bag suspensions that are available for those trucks to level the load. A friend of mine has a D/A in a Chevy and he recently installed the air bags. His 5th wheel and truck now sit level when hitched.

Colorado Kid
11-26-2003, 12:00
I'd add an exhaust brake if I was going to tow in the hill that much, and while I was at it I'd do a 4" or bigger exhaust system.

Personally I'd leave the power alone because I don't think it'll make very many minutes difference in what it takes to do the job. If your going to add power I'd recommend the Edge Juice (not the "hot" version) with the Attitude controler. . .takes the place of the guages you'd otherwise need to buy and limits EGTs all by itself, so you can concentrate on pulling the load. Also the Juice has the best reputation for improving throttle response and low end torque . . . just the ticket for heavy loads.