PDA

View Full Version : Installing 5th wheel

James Hewett
04-07-2004, 06:00
Has anyone actually installed a fifth wheel by theirselves? I have an appointment to have my trailer dealer install my hitch in my 2500HD, next week he said it could cost $225, does this sound right? I took it out of my Ford myself and saved all parts and bolts and bought all new replacement bolts, it doesn't look like a hard job not brain surgery or anathing!
Should I do it myself or let the pros. do it?, if it ain't right I can blame them.
Do the frame brackets have to be on the outside of frame rails or can I have them put on inside of frame? what if I make thick steel spacers to mount it threw p/u bed to the top of the frame rails? Thanks, first post, Jim

Craig M
04-07-2004, 06:44
One of the auto shows on TV did the install of a Reese system a few weeks ago. No welding was required, just drill a bunch of holes. Some holes in the frame and some in the bed. If you have some good drill bits and a metal hole saw you should be able to do it yourself. Probably a good 4 to 6 hour job, so the $250 cost is about right for a shop at $50 per hour.

Colorado Kid
04-07-2004, 07:01
You can download VERY detailed instructions from Reese's website. A brand new rail kit with the spacers and all hardware for your truck costs a bunch less than $225. It's not too bad a job. Took two of us who had never tried it before about 4 hours working very carefully.

arveetek
04-07-2004, 09:57
I charge $150 plus parts for fifth-wheel installations (3 hrs at $50 p/hr), including wiring up the brake control and installing a 7-way plug in the bed. I just finished a 2000 Ford F-150 this morning.

It's really not all that difficult, just time-consuming and labor intensive. However, the newer GM trucks are a bit more difficult because the frame rails are wider, making it harder to install the L-brackets and limiting access to the nuts and bolts.

On the late model GM trucks, you install the Reese L-brackets on the outside of the frame rails with the tops pointing in towards the center of the truck.

Casey

Heartbeat Hauler
04-08-2004, 12:07
I had mine installed and it cost about $325.00. I'd say you are right in there price wise. I watched as they installed mine and it seems to be a pretty daunting task for a first timer. I would also recommend an articulating hicth, if you haven't purchased it yet.
JP

James Hewett
04-09-2004, 05:45
Thanks you guys for all the replys.
I Just took my Reese slider off my Gutless F-150, it was fine on flat ground.
I saved all L brakets etc. and put elect.trl. brake on myself, but mywife thinks we should let the Trailer dealer do the main job for the price he gave us. I don't own a halfinch drill motor. and won't rent or buy one.
so all this settles my curiosity, Thanks
P.S. I have a 5ver tailgate for a F-150-cheap+shipping from Buffalo.