PDA

View Full Version : Shocks Truck or 5ver?

BLUMAX
08-30-2004, 19:55
This question could be placed in a couple categories, but decided to ask my fellow 5ver's. Normally everything rides/tows great, but lately I've been traveling highways where the expansion joints and my coupled length just don't agree. At certain speeds the expansion joints cause a "rocking" motion between the 2 that is only stopped by either speeding up or slowing down. My 29' Cougar does not have shocks, just springs but like I said truck and trailer normally tow great over most kinds of roads so nothing there is at issue. So watching the budget I'm trying to decide which option I should try first, new shocks on the truck which seem fine at 30K, and still feel the same as when new, or install the Monroe kit on the Cougar. Eventually both rigs will get new shocks, but right now I can only do one, and wanted the most bang for the buck. I'm thinking shocks on the 5ver will help dampen things since it only has springs, but not sure and wanted to ask your opinions. Thanks!

DonG
08-30-2004, 20:43
BLU MAX,

I have some bad news for you. There are certain CONCRETE roads that your length, weight, and speed simply does not work. I have air bags and shocks on the 5th wheel and I have the same problem.

Shocks on your trailer may lesson the problem, but changing roads is the only solution. The problem never happens on asphalt.

Sorry, but I do not have a suggestion but hope someone else has an idea or solution.

Good Luck, Don

tanker
08-31-2004, 00:05
BLU MAX, Don is correct, I experience the samething with our present Travel Trailer. The suburban and the 34ft Holiday trailer are just the right wheel base for certain concrete highways. Its starts a harmonic surge that only worsens. I have tried riding with one set of wheels on the shoulder (paved), slowing down then accelerating, but that only helps for a little while. I try to avoid them next trip and take another way next time. ;)