PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel with a short bed????

finnster
12-08-2003, 10:10
I'm very close to purchasing an 04 GMC D/D CC and I may be upgrading from a travel trailer to a 5th wheel during the life span of this truck. The question is short bed v/s long bed. I'm leaning towards the long bed because it will fit in the garage, 8' = more cargo space, I like the look of the truck and I don't think the extra length will be a problem.
Thanks for your input
great forum

Sneaks
12-08-2003, 10:26
If you're comfortable with the length, go with the long bed. Short beds and 5'ers are a compromise. The shorter 5'ers will require either a sliding hitch or a pin box extension. Not a real bother but both add mechanical complexity. (I believe in KISS) The longer length 5'ers mandate a sliding hitch or a "Pullrite" equivalent to keep your cab safe from an unwanted "passenger." (The corner of your 5'er)

The long bed may cause you to wish for a hinge in the middle sometimes, especially when parking in a crowded parking lot, but unless you're Christmas shopping between Thanksgiving and Christmas, most lots have spaces that give you both room and the opportunity for aerobic exercise while walking to the mall entrance.

I only wish my garage were long enough to contain my EC long bed. :(

DonG
12-08-2003, 12:12
I recommend the long bed also. The longer wheel base will provide a smoother ride and more stability while towing. You will need more room to turn, but you will get used to that.

Don

MaxRock
12-08-2003, 12:49
finnster,

I'm not much help with the 5er, I have a TT at the time. I'm hoping to move up to a 5er in the next few years.

What I can help you with is a crew cab long bed. I've had mine for a little over 2 years with 68k+ miles and I love it. Sure, you have to think before you park, but I like to park away from cars anyway, so this causes me no ill effects.

I find the turning radius of this truck is excellant for a vehicle this size. I would be willing to bet this truck turns almost as sharp as my '86 single cab long bed!

The truck drives and rides like a dream (for a truck)! We use it a lot for family travel without any complaints from the CO! I do find the longer wheelbase provides a lot of stability when towing.

Good luck with your purchase!

MaxRock

rustypig
12-08-2003, 17:45
I've got an 01 CC/SB 4x4 (OK...it's an F350 PSD but don't tell anyone), and I tow a 32' 5er with no problems. I do have a sliding hitch, but I haven't really had to use it. I did once because the pit of my stomach won over the knowedge that I had room to spare.....the corner of that 5er can look REALLY close sometimes, but when you get out to check it's not so bad. I believe every 5er setup/model etc makes it a bit different.

I love my shortbed. Even it seems like driving a freight train sometimes though, so I'm glad it's not a longbed. Besides REAL MEN like a challenge....like getting a bunch of 16 foot 2x4's home in a 6 foot bed! :D

srg3
12-08-2003, 19:35
finnster,
I have 02 cougar 5er with a extended pin box and a reese slider. my last truck was a 02 cc short bed ,I never had to use the slider and I got into a few tight spots.I would get the slider because my spotter says I'm a jerk and to get out and look for my self. If you get in a spot with no help I'm sure the slider would be worth the cost.

FisHn2DMax
12-08-2003, 23:29
I pull a 30' 5'er wit ;) h an extended pin box, with a fixed 5'er hitch and have never had a problem with tight turns. It comes close to the cab, but it doesn't hit. Since I only tow the 5'er a few times a year ( with my 18' boat behind the 5'er), we mostly use our truck as a daily grocery getter, commuter and for going to the malls. My wife uses the truck as much as I do, so the long bed was not an option she would consider this time around! Honestly, I'm now glad we went with the SB!!! After having long bed crew cabs in the past, I can't believe what just a few feet of reduced turning radius does to the overall driveability of a HD Truck! It makes a world of difference! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!!

If turning radius and daily driveability is not a concern, then go with the long bed. If you go with the short bed, have an extended pin box put on for mid profile 5'er and a slider for larger full height (BIG) 5'ers. If you do this, you won't having any problems towing a 5'er with and SB.

Good Luck!

David Utz
12-09-2003, 04:57
Short bed = 26 gallon fuel
Long bed = 34 gallons fuel

For me, this alone makes the long bed the first choice. I can drive all day and only have to refuel one time. Getting 50+ feet of truck and trailer into and out of gas stations can be a big headache.

finnster
12-09-2003, 05:48
Thanks for all the input !!! Valid points from both sides. Still not positive but my first thought was the long bed and when it comes down to it I have to go with my gut. For now I'm still waiting for more info on the LLY v/s LB7 motor before I buy so I have another two month before I have to decide. Maybe if I buy the long bed my wife won't like it and will refuse to drive it?????

Colorado Kid
12-09-2003, 09:33
You can hope :D For even more insurance in this regard you could get the 6 speed. It works for me :cool:

arveetek
12-11-2003, 13:46
As everyone has mentioned, the LB will be a good choice if you don't mind the extra turning radius. A SB will work, but every truck and trailer combo is slightly different, so you will have to do some research and experimenting with the prospective trailer to make sure it would work.

One other pro of going with a longbed: you could tow any trailer you wanted. You wouldn't have to worry about clearance issues. Just hook on and go! That's handy. You could tow a fiver home for a buddy, or make a few extra bucks towing trailers for folks.

Casey

VFRRider
12-12-2003, 14:26
I have the Pullrite Superglide automatic sliding hitch. Don't even know its there. Does all the sliding on turns automatically. Also have an in box aux tank, can drive from MI to Fl and only gas up once on the way. Yes they are costly, but my rigs a daily driver, didnt want the extra length to deal with parking, etc. And it just fits inside my garage with 3" to spare. As far as stability, I doubt there is any difference between a SB and LB, you'd have to make the jump to a dually to make any real difference. My crew is long enough for me, I can't imagine having more to deal with. But thats me, I'm sure those with CC LB's are just as happy with their setup.

Mike