PDA

View Full Version : Reading TDP from different computers?

AndyL
12-17-2003, 12:43
I read TDP from 3 different computers often. It appears TDP uses cookies to determine which messages have been read. Is there any way make the read messages "sync up" with the different computers?

DmaxMaverick
12-17-2003, 16:40
Yes. Cookies.

But....that doesn't have anything to do with the read posts. That is determined by the browser (history and cache), on the computer you are using. No way around that unless you are using Terminal Services, or network batching. Not a practicle option in the consumer world.

Andy Chesek
12-24-2003, 06:30
Not exactly a practical idea, but you could just stash your dieselpage cookies onto a floppy disk and copy them onto the next computer you use before visiting again. I think this is an "easier" thing to do for more of a novice computer user, but like DmaxMaverick said, there's no easy way to do this.

Andy

DmaxMaverick
12-24-2003, 09:23
Copying the cookies will do no good. Once you log onto TDP, you get the cookies anyway.

The problem here is caching and browser settings, which are unique to each computer. There are software solutions to some issues (like "PC Anywhere"), but would be more more investment than the return, and probably wouldn't do what you are asking. Until you visit a site's page on the specific computer, the browser you are using has no way of knowing you were there before.

Andy Chesek
12-24-2003, 12:57
Hang on there Dmax,

When you backup your Diesel Page cookies and copy them to another computer, the next visit to the Diesel Page will simply update the cookies you have. Cookies contain settings for individual websites, which may include login information so you don't need to login with a username and password each time you visit a site. Cookies will also let you know (at least on the Diesel Page and PickupTruck.com) what forums have been updated with new discussion topics since your last visit.

Caching is the storing of objects which can be used at a later date in order to save bandwidth. Mostly these are graphics files, and if they aren't present they will simply be downloaded again.

Erasing the history will reset any "darkened" links you have visited in the past, but it won't change the number of new threads (discussions) you see next time you visit a forum.

Cookies hold a lot more information than people think, and I find it important to backup cookies when I format/reinstall operating systems for people so they don't have to login everywhere again, dig out passwords they forgot long ago, or have to create new profiles when using job search engines, among other reasons.