PDA

View Full Version : New Articles for September!

More Power
09-07-2005, 08:24
Two Thousand Six
GM's 2006 Duramax Diesel 2500HD/3500 Pickup Trucks (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/2006MY.htm)
The 2006 model-year Chevy & GMC diesel pickups began arriving on dealer lots in August of this year. While not much has been added or changed to the pickup styling or option list, the big news is the new RPO code LBZ Duramax 6600 diesel engine. Go here for a look at the new trucks and to learn more about the new uprated Duramax diesel engine.

Electronic 6.5L TD Power Project (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/schoolcraft2.htm)
Part II
Building a more durable and more powerful engine.
18:1 pistons, splayed main caps, and balancing & blueprinting allow for a more powerful and more durable 6.5L TD engine. Follow along as we show you the improvements incorporated into the engine shortblock.

Solving Allison ATF Leaks (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/duramax/atfleak.htm)
No Leaks, No Drips - No Errors
We hear of Allison fluid leaks every once in a while, and have recently experienced one ourselves. Most of these leaks result in automatic transmission fluid dripping off the bellhousing area of the transmission. An input shaft seal problem probably comes to mind first, but as we've learned, these seals are rarely the cause. Follow along we show you what to look for and how to repair a leaky Allison.

CleviteKid
09-07-2005, 17:24
Ron's current article:

Electronic 6.5L TD Power Project
Part II
Building a more durable and more powerful engine.

. . . is must reading for anyone contemplating a 6.5L power project. Thanx, Ron, for giving us excellent insight and clear explanations of the important details you are building into your engine.

Dr. Lee :cool:

rjschoolcraft
09-08-2005, 17:35
Thanks for the kind words, Doc... smile.gif

82beast
09-09-2005, 16:14
hey MP.
for some reason or another i can't read the new articles. the server will not accept my login name and/or password. :confused:

iljusin
09-09-2005, 18:56
Is 650lb-ft of torque is available in all gears?

More Power
09-13-2005, 11:42
82beast,
You've got mail.... smile.gif

iljusin,
I seriously doubt it... Don't expect it in 1st or the two OD's.

Jim

OC_DMAX
09-20-2005, 03:40
From the article on the LBZ engines:

The new GMT-900 trucks scheduled for production beginning mid year 2006 will be all new with all new sheet metal and styling, and with a rumored increase in differentiation between Chevy and GMC. We'll get our first hint of what the new 2007 model-year pickup trucks might look like at the January 2006 Detroit Auto Show, where the new GMT-900 body style Chevrolet Suburbans and GMC Yukons will make their first official public debut.
Question:

Does this mean the 2500HD / 3500 series trucks will be available on the GMT-900 platform around mid-year 2006? Or are we talking about just the 1500 series truck being available mid-year 2006 with the larger trucks to follow on GMT-900 platforms a year or two later (as was the case in the 1999/2000/2001 timeframe)?

Also, I would be a little disappointed if the new LBZ / Allison combo could not hold max torque in 5th gear (this gear is very useable for towing at a safe/sane speed). I could understand some sort of torque management in 6th gear. GM needs to be upfront about this.

Thanks,
Alan

More Power
09-20-2005, 08:56
OC, Exactly when GM introduces the GMT-900 HD's remains a question. The GMT-900 HD's have already been seen in Michigan - on public streets. My hunch is that they'll be here next fall for the traditional model year introduction.

The bean counters (those who study warranty service costs) have a lot of say in engine power ratings and torque management. I wouldn't look for GM (or any manufacturer) to be forthcoming with how hp/tq are managed. We do know that as the ratings increased with each model year since the introduction of the LB7, performance during a Pull-Off has made only a barely measurable improvement. This tells me that hp/tq are managed to protect the drivetrain. Look for this philosophy in torque management to continue, though the step up in power with the LBZ is significant, and I expect we'll see a larger and more impressive increase in stock performance at our Pull-Off for 2006.

It'll be interesting to see how all this plays out with Ford & Dodge. 360/650 is the equivalent of throwing down the gauntlet. GM should have done this five years ago... :D

Jim