PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of uping the Signature length?

AndyL
05-20-2004, 03:49
250 characters just isn't enough! I would even pay more if I could view everyones complete modifications and performance numbers/thoughts. Lets get rid of the Avatar images and save the bandwidth for signatures.

CleviteKid
05-20-2004, 05:55
Or, as some of us have done, grab some free web-space, post your photos and info, and then put the link to your custom free page in your signature. We used to have some signatures that were 20 to 30 lines long, and that ate GOBS of space, particulary when repeated hundreds of times by prolific posters.

Dr. Lee :cool:

AndyL
05-20-2004, 06:40
I am not sure how your BBs software works, but most recent packages don't save the signature to each post, they simply add that users signature info when the post is displayed. With that setup you only have one stored for each member, no matter how many posts!

That must be how thedieselpage works because the signature is updated with the new information on old posts?

More Power
05-21-2004, 07:24
Unfortunately, the current BB software defaults to always include signatures, unless toggled off when making a post. This means that most people automatically get a sig on every posted message.

Back some time ago, a few people went nuts with long-long-long sigs. So, it was limited to 250 characters. It can be increased. What would be a reasonable length?

MP

AndyL
05-21-2004, 09:03
That is a good question. I would say in 350 to 400 characters just about everyone could make their point!

What was the previous setting?

Thanks for the consideration,

Andy

ndamico
05-21-2004, 09:19
I'd like to be able to edit a 500 character sig. that would give me plenty of room!

Kennedy
05-21-2004, 13:56
I too would like to have more characters and have been unable to edit mine.

On the flip side, I find that my tempermental internet access sure likes loading the pages here much more than most any UBB (not limited to diesel) that I've been to. Assuming it's due to less junk and excess baggage that comes with the repeat signature deal.

FWIW, UBB Threads 6.4.2 (which I don't particularly care for) used on another forum only posts signature once per thread last I checked.

On edit, I guess i mis-spoke. The previous version that they used defaulted to one sig per thread. Now it is selectable, and will pop in every thread...

More Power
05-21-2004, 15:03
It's now set to 400 characters... Let's see what develops....

MP

AndyL
05-22-2004, 07:42
Originally posted by More Power:
It's now set to 400 characters... Let's see what develops....

MP smile.gif