PDA

View Full Version : Helix TB spacer

8.1PWR
11-23-2003, 16:50
Has any one put a Helix or Airaid throttle body spacer on a 8.1L or 6.0? They claim a little more torque and better fuel economy. If you have what results did you get.

8.1GASSER
11-30-2003, 08:21
Personally, a waste of time in my opinion, if you are looking for a little kick in the pants go with some comp. tuning whether it be Superchips, Westers, or Predator, all seem to work well, or just skip all the steps and get a supercharger and be done with it.

84 C2B2
11-30-2003, 16:50
Hi,

I believe a few folks have installed them but they also run the RPM up to the middle 3K range. The MAP sensor and throttle body aftermarket parts carry a hefty price. Heard a few comments where some folks didn't really see any difference in performance or economy. If i really wanted a big performance gain for towing or just for pure kick-in-the-pants enjoyment I would put a supercharger unit on it. I would keep it for a long time to get any payback out of it also. I am running pure synthetics in everything except the P/S unit. I did purchase a re-configured ECM unit from Wester's Garage. Fuel economy hasn't really improved since most of my miles are city but the exhaust pipe is now soot free. I did get a military rate from Wester's. 15% off. Nice guy.

Jerry

8.1PWR
12-01-2003, 17:55
Thanks guys. I've heard stories both ways. Some people say worked great some didn't notice any difference. I didn't notice any difference putting the K&N intake system on the the truck.

bartman
12-01-2003, 18:34
8.1 PWR. Just trade the 8.1 in for a Duramax and get the power and economy! Just kiddin. Just wanted to say hey.
Bartman

airtime
12-13-2003, 00:50
8.1-
The truck seems to run a little lean in the cold mo's with the Airaid, however, I put it on with O/S tires and noticed a difference. Call it "just me" but I love my 8.1 with the Airaid, lift kit and 35's. I look forward to putting a chip in, and if the overtime gods are with me, a Whipple charger! Yeah, that's a little extreme, but why the hell not? Ever see someone smoke all four at a stop light? (with a trailer?) smile.gif I can't be technical and say what the ratings are, but with my O/S tires, and nothing else but the airaid, there had better be a gas station in site! yeah, it's lean, but it still sucks some gas. Seriously, do it, but don't expect much. You want some serious head pinning ****, you'll need more than that. If your'e looking just to show off for your friends, it'll do just fine. Drag-wise, you better pack more than that!
AT

Tough Guy
01-05-2004, 19:52
What does a super charger set-up run for the 8.1 ?? (complete)

Cheers

Stove
01-08-2004, 17:55
I got one, cannot really tell if it helped or not. Gotta like whistling though, sounds like a blower. I does make the fitment of airintakes a real pain. I have a upd and had to trim a lot of the fan shroud to make it fit. For something that will make a difference, get a wester's computer. It puts my old supertuner to shame.

later

B1powered
01-07-2005, 10:59
TB spacers and "vortex" units are a "snake oil" type of "performance enhancer"
What a waste.

Spend the $$ Wiser and just get a tuner for it.