PDA

View Full Version : Fumoto & 6.0L

Vivayo
05-19-2003, 10:41
Anyone running this combo? Yesterday, I did my first oil change since picking up the valve - well, that's not quite true. I had it at my last change but didn't have the necessary adapter (was told I didn't need it). I had coupled the adapter and valve together before crawling under the truck only to find out that the crosspipe was too close to put it in. That was my first hint of trouble. I took them apart and they went in (barely) individually. Trouble I see is that the nipple on the valve winds up too close to the crosspipe. I slipped a length of clear plastic tubing, which I bought just for this purpose, on the nipple with some difficulty and the hose kinks because it pushes up against the crosspipe. Now, if the nipple had a 90 degree bend in it, then things would be okay. As it is, I'm not sure it's worth the PITA. Next oil change, I may be yanking it out and sticking the OEM plug back in.
Charlie

TomF
05-20-2003, 14:39
I've been considering getting the Fumoto, but in light of your observations, I think I'll continue my home grown approach of holding the drain plug in a position to keep the flow off the crosspipe while draining.

Crude? yes. Cheap? definitely. Effective? mostly.

Heavy Duty Neil
05-29-2003, 12:18
Here's a crazy idea. Could you mount the fumoto sideways, using some short pipe fittings? Like maybe use a 45

Vivayo
05-31-2003, 20:07
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Heavy Duty Neil:
[QB] Here's a crazy idea. Could you mount the fumoto sideways, using some short pipe fittings? Like maybe use a 45

billfarmer
07-05-2003, 07:24
the oil drain on the 6.0 has to be the worst designed part on the truck. why would they put the exhaust that close?

roger350
07-30-2003, 12:11
Anyone tried the Fram drain thing that is similar to the Fumoto. I recall seeing the adds maybe 8 months ago. I seem to recall it looked pretty slick, and think I remember it having an advantage over the Fumoto in the area of not having to worry about hitting debris that might "open" the valve?

chipper
07-30-2003, 14:26
Roger350,
A couple of members reported trying it & they said it drained TOO slow.

blue_lightning
07-31-2003, 12:24
Yes, I tried the Fram device, it would not fit between the oil pan and the pipe with a comfortable clearance distance for me, they are too close so I brought it back. Still waiting on a solution other than wrapping the pipe in aluminum foil to keep it clean. However, oil spashes and still makes a mess. Dave

JimWilson
07-31-2003, 16:53
I'm currently using the aluminum foil trick too. I use a fresh piece just before each oil change, but it still splashes all over the place (at least it's not on the hot exhaust pipe though). Wonder what imbecile came up with this bit of engineering... :(