PDA

View Full Version : thinking about a boosted 6.2 diesel

Acadianlion
08-14-2003, 10:56
I am thinking about getting my first GM diesel. Right now, I am pondering a 6.2litre diesel that had a Banks turbo installed early in its life. The truck supposedly has a complete service history, but I am wondering if I should run away and hide from this vehicle, because of 1)the Banks installation; and, 2) mileage which is probably well over 100,000. Mileage is hard to tell, it would appear since the rear axle ratios were changed with the Banks installation.

Any comment will be appreciated!

Thanks.

Roger

rugger
08-14-2003, 13:10
Roger are you by any chance refering to a certain white chevy blazer? Few things I would ask the seller which should be no problem since it is a car dealer would be; compression check, what gears are in the front axle, Has the tranny been rebuilt, Has the tranny had regular service. Has the following ben replaced, timing chain, injectors, injector pump. The fact that it had a banks turbo one it wouldnt bother me at all, and the milage estimate doesn't either. Being from wisconsin i value a clean body over the mechanicals though. Having said that i would be willing to spend some good coin on that truck ~$6k. Hope this helps a little im sure others more knowledgeable will add thier thoughts.
Cheers, rugger

It might help if you post away for people to look at it.

Dieselboy
08-14-2003, 13:14
Welcome to the thedieselpage! There are a number of different things to check for on any new-to-you diesel. I have found that the most important and perhaps the "tell-all" is just how it starts and idles.

Listen to the way it starts. Is it a crisp turnover? Does it take too long to start?

How does it sound once it's running? Is the diesel clack consistent and even? Is there any missing, or is the idle in any way uneven?

I hope this helps,

Acadianlion
08-14-2003, 13:28
Actually....right on. I have asked some questions, and think from what I have read in subsequent messages, and updates to the ad, that the front axel was changed as well. If the original axle was changed to 4.10, AND the thing still drives in four wheel drive, then the front axle would have had to be changed, or else the truck front axle would try to tear itself loose from the rear.

I have asked other questions as well, and supposedly the service records on the truck are VERY complete.

We'll see. I am a LOOOOONG way from where this thing sits, but I have been known to take a shot in the dark before. I will ask even more questions....and thanks for the replies!

Roger

britannic
08-14-2003, 23:45
The Bank's turbo is very simple and will last well. In fact before GM introduced their own turbo, they fitted the Bank's system as a factory option in the late '80's. The 6.2L really wakes up with forced air, you'll love it if it's properly set up.