PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 NA boat dock

leaf40
08-24-2003, 16:06
Hi Dr. Lee,
I have been noticing many non-6.2 NA questions in your section of the forum so I'll add one which is in your area of expertise. I recently installed a 6.2(meters long) NA (new aluminum "I" channel) boat dock in a fresh water pond. The four legs are galvanized pipe held in place by cast aluminum brackets and all the bolting hardware is stainless.
Do you think the galvanized legs will react with the aluminum mounting brackets and/or the stainless nuts & bolts?

CleviteKid
08-24-2003, 18:38
" . . . aluminum boat dock in a fresh water pond. The four legs are galvanized pipe held in place by cast aluminum brackets and all the bolting hardware is stainless. "

The saving grace is that your dock is in fresh water. Your stainless hardware will last forever, and as long as your aluminum deck is in place, it will galvanically protect your galvanized steel legs. If the cast aluminum brackets are above the normal splash zone (storms excepted) this should last a long time.

But . . . no guarantees. Besides, you went and done it already . . . so you don't really wanna hear me say you should tear it down.

I like your new definition of 6.2 NA. What boat is gonna tie up at your dock. I always thought a Classic Donzi 18' runabout would be the perfect home for a 300 hp. Peninsular diesel . . . . . . .

Dr. Lee :cool: