PDA

View Full Version : '82 Block question

DieselDavy
09-05-2003, 07:59
Hey Doc,
Over on the 6.2 forum in a thread called "Blockoversy" you commented about which newer blocks to use for buildups. Painthorsman commented on the early '82s.
"If you cant' find a "599" block or afford to buy a late AM General block, the next best thing is a very early casting...the blocks cast in 1981 and 1982 have (by all available info), a higher nickel content than the blocks produced in the later years. This gives them a significant increase in strength and thus, less likely to have main web cracking problems. The earliest one I have ever seen, is the one that I'm building for my truck. It was cast in March of 1981, has well over 200,000 miles on it and no web cracks! The downside is... it takes a little more hone action to get a good crosshatch pattern in the bores due to the higher than normal nickel content."
What do you think? Anything to this? I have an '82 (red block) that is still running with about 322K miles. I admit it's tired, very tired. Could these blocks really be stronger than there descendants? Might these blocks be good candidates for a buildup?
(At 290K I got a look at the cylinder walls during the only head gasket replacement this truck has seen and there were certainly no hone/hatch marks here! smile.gif
Dave

CleviteKid
09-05-2003, 12:40
Yes, the earliest blocks do seem to have been stronger and more trouble free that later blocks. Yours could be a candidate for upgrading, but you will have to bore it slightly oversize and put in new pistons.

Dr. Lee :cool:

90LX
09-06-2003, 15:01
Has anyone ever made a main cap girdle for the 6.2 and 6.5 blocks? These are getting quite popular with the small block Fords when pushing for a lot of power and reaching the limits of the block casting. It bridges across all of the main caps to add rigidity and strength to the bottom end.

mhagie
09-06-2003, 17:14
Yes they are available for the 6.2/6.5 the closest one to you that I know of is The Diesel Depot They installed one in my 6.5 reman. :D