PDA

View Full Version : torque converter problems

elembry
02-12-2004, 20:09
I have a '92 2500 chevy with 121k miles on it. I am having problems with what I think is the converter locking and unlocking while driving down the road. It has not always done it. It also seems to be worse when everything is good and hot. I was wondering if there is some kind of sensor or something that tells the converter to lock and unlock at a certain temp? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

CleviteKid
02-14-2004, 13:34
There is no temperature sensor in the TC lockup circuit, but you may be experiencing electrical problems that act like you have one. Unplug the connector at the transmission, and clean it thoroughly with contact cleaner, and see if that helps. You could also have a TPS that is going bad, or a bad connection anywhere else, like at the brake pedal switch.

Be sure you have a clean filter and clean ATF in the transmission - since the TC clutch is actuated by hydraulic pressure within the transmission.

Dr. Lee :cool:

tpitt
02-16-2004, 19:23
Dr. Lee,
My "Raptor" had a temperature sensor in it and that was what was causing the converter not to lock. When I was coming back from Las Vegas on a trip when it was really hot, the torque started locking up. It was too late for my transmission though and I believe that trip was the demise of my tranny. The turbo 400 is back in it now. tpitt