PDA

View Full Version : Door hinge bins and bushings

cophead
09-11-2003, 12:12
Hi , trying to find how hard it's to change the pins and bushings. Went to the dealer because door wouldn't open from inside.

Told me I needed the pins and bushings. The cost $300.

Has anyone had this problem.Thanks to all.

rumbler1
09-11-2003, 13:02
I did mine two years ago on a l986 Suburban. Parts available at the local Carquest dealer for around $5-7 per door. I did it the hard way, using a 4 lb. sledgehammer and a long steel rod to drive the old ones out and the new ones in. It might be easier to put a jack under the door for support and remove the brackets so you can get at them better. Have somebody hold the door in place while you drive out the old pins and drive in the new ones. I am sure that had I done it that way I could have saved half the time it took to do it in place, but I was working alone as usual. I definitely would not pay $300 to have somebody else change them.

cophead
09-11-2003, 13:28
Rambler,thanks for quick reply,My truck 1995 2500,I'm not sure if its the same set up as yours.It looks like the brackets are welded to the frame.

Still not sure about bushings,saw somewhere that they are brass but new bushings recently changed to teflon.

I know what you mean about working alone,I'm in Az. and its hard to get the wife out there in 110 heat.

tom.mcinerney
09-11-2003, 18:44
Cophead--Dealer advised me to have hinges cut off and new welded on. Local mechanic said see if can replace pins&bushes. I got aftermarket setup and replaced 'em all. Mine were worn loose so no need to hammer(and new bushes are loose in hinges), but 90% slop removed. I had help; removed doors to fix other probs too. Suggest support door if solo op.

cophead
09-12-2003, 09:08
tom mac 95-Thanks for info. So if bushing hole is worn the only way to fix, is to weld on new hinge, so bushing fits tight in the hole with no play, when you put in the pins?How hard is it to remove spring on top pin? The job seems doable as long as the bushing holes aren't badly worn. Did you have any play in door after new pins were installed? Thanks

Marty Lau
09-15-2003, 13:17
about 6 weeks ago I replaced the pins and bushings on the Drivers side the was mucho much slack before replacement now very little. We used a floor jack and wood block to support the door while bushing and pins were removed and replaced.

cophead
09-15-2003, 14:39
Thanks, 16ga SxS, before I pull pins still trying to get some feedback on spring. Do you need a special tool to remove and put back? :confused:

tom.mcinerney
09-16-2003, 19:41
Cophead--1.) Almost all play removed by new pin/bushing game. 2.) I did fabricate a tool to compress door spring(welded strap to visegrip plier, worked fairly well). The bugger is under some compression. You could probably get a dealer or body shop to remove/reinstall the spring, just use door with care in interim. I might lend you mine, as i don't plan to use tool soon...probably an Autozone has something that would work....

7dcuda
09-17-2003, 10:03
Every time I have ever replaced the pins and bushings I used a block of wood and floor jack and helper to remove the door from the hinges. Make reference marks to replace it, do the work and reinstall with helper adjust and close retighten hinge bolts on door. I always use a large prybar for the spring and twist it and hammer it into place. The best trick I know of is to lubricate the door hinges every time you change the oil. Maintinance is easier than replacement.

cophead
09-17-2003, 16:12
Did some research and found tool to remove spring Kent-Moore Tools. This tool is part number J-36604. The telephone number is 800-345-2233. Still don't know if I will buy this tool because i am cheap, instead I fabricated a tool using two pieces of flat iron from H.D. 1/4 x 1 x 6, drilled hole endo and about 4 inches up. inserted bolt and nut in both .Place between spring and tighten middle bolt which compresses spring. Picked up pin and bushing kit at napa for 6.99 for each. All I need now is a helper.