PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Removing Swelled Glow Plugs?

painthorsman
09-26-2003, 02:54
Dr. Lee or Anyone...
Motor is completed and in the truck and started fine after bleeding the lines. The next day I was going to start it and move it out of the shop... it crankes but no fire and smoke! I found out that somehow a connector came loose and I lost power to the D side glow plugs...It seems the passenger side ones overheated and burnt out. Problem is they won't come out all the way... They loosen fine and slide out most of the way but, the tips are swelled (took front injector out to see).
Is there any good tricks to getting these out, without removing the head on my brand new, less than 1 hour and 0 miles engine? I didn't think AC11 G's would swell or burn out that easily?
If anyone has an answer...I'd appreciate it, we were supposed to be leaving to go camping this weekend, till this came up. My # is 812-614-2391 if someone has an immediate answer.
Thanks.

britannic
09-26-2003, 06:46
Check out my answer to your post in the 6.2L Forum Removing Swollen Glow Plugs (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002195)

painthorsman
10-10-2003, 17:21
Taking the injectors out, stuffing a rag into the pre cup and then unscrewing the glow plugs out and breaking them off,then driving the "broke" pieces into the pre cup and removing them with needle nose pliers and/or a small magnet works like a charm!!!! THANKS! SURE BEATS TAKING THE HEAD OFF! as GM recommends! I now have a new controller and 60G's taking the place of those easily burnt out 11 G's!!!!