PDA

View Full Version : EGR System

pstrother
03-02-2004, 05:12
I am having a new exhaust system installled and upping the pipe size by 1/4". Can you help with losing the EGR system? Is it practical to do this to help with the engine breathing and power? smile.gif

CleviteKid
03-02-2004, 06:21
What year and model truck? If it is '93 or earlier I can give you some advice. If it is newer it has too much electronics for my old-fashioned brain to understand.

Dr. Lee :cool:

moondoggie
03-02-2004, 09:10
Good Day!

You might want to click on "my profile" & let us know what year, etc. truck you are talking about. It's handy, because you don't have to remember to do it, it shows up at the bottom of all your posts automatically. smile.gif

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

pstrother
03-02-2004, 16:22
Its a 6.2 "C" in a 1983 Chevy G20 Van. Sorry about that. :D

CleviteKid
03-04-2004, 05:49
This advice is for off-road use only on trucks not subject to emission control regulation ;) .

Take of the air cleaner and sitting on top of the manifold should be a black ugly diaphragm chamber and valve assembly, held to the aluminum manifold by a couple of bolts. Take that off and chuck it as far into the woods as you can, responsibly.

Measure the diameter of the hole in the middle of the air intake, and go to the auto parts store and buy a couple of block freeze plugs about 2 RCH's bigger than what you measured. Find a socket that fits in the hollow of the freeze plug, slather the plug with silicone sealant, and use the socket and a rubber or wooden mallet to force the plug into the hole in the manifold. Then do the same thing with the second freeze plug.

You will have a vacuum line left over from discarding the EGR valve - plug it.

On one of your exhaust manifolds (driver side on a pickup - not sure on a van) there will be an attachment at the outlet of the manifold with a vacuum diaphragm housing attached. This is the EPR valve (exhaust pressure regulator) that closes off one exhaust to force the exhaust gas thru the passage in the intake manifold. Pull off the vacuum line and plug it.

You're done.

pstrother
03-13-2004, 14:47
Covered the hole with a metal plate(bolted in place), sealed with RTV. Exhaust system improvement from 2.5" to 2.75 back to the rear axle and 3" from there, will get rid of the EGR ( EPR I get them mixed up all the time) valve on the left exhaust all together. I am going to install a Amsoil TS25 induction air filter and do a little modification to the air intake system to help the engine breathe better. I will let you know how it all comes out in the next couple of weeks. You don't know where an ole boy might find some headers for this 6.2 do ya? :D

CleviteKid
03-13-2004, 18:26
Only one place I know for any good-ol-boy, or good-ol-gal, to git some 6.2L diesel headers and that is from STAN'S HEADERS (http://www.stans-headers.com/gm_headers.htm) .

Look at part numbers 162 thru 165.