PDA

View Full Version : Starts then dies in morning

Cabasa
09-27-2003, 05:52
I am having a problem with my 6.2 staying running after it sits over night.

What happens is it will start run a few seconds then stumble and die. Sometimes if I catch it fast enough I can floor it while it stumbles and then it will slowly rev back up and then smooth out. If I don't catch it fast enough then it takes a while cranking it over to get it started again. After the first start in the morning it usually doesn't do it again, but if I park on an incline with the nose up it will do it right off.

Am I off in thinking that my diaphram in the fuel pump is bleeding down? I am guessing that it is getting some sort of air lock in the line somehow. The fuel hoses up front that I can see all appear not to be leaking. So my guess is the fuel pump.

I appreciate any advice you might have.....Thanks

britannic
09-27-2003, 06:35
Sounds like an air leak into the fuel supply under vacuum. The quickest way to check your low pressure supply is to get another fuel tank filler cap and drill and install a schraeder valve (tire valve). Pressure the fuel tank to about 7-10psi and carefully check the fuel lines over the next 30 minutes for fuel leaks.

I found fuel leaks in my fuel filter, at the lift pump inlet and also at the IP pump from the throttle shaft - all of which contributed to the dreaded start and immediate stall syndrome.

Cabasa
09-27-2003, 18:11
Britannic,
I'll try that and see what I can find. I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump today and finally got it started. Now it wants to idle down real low. What gives? I then replaced that $20 dollar fuel filter and it still idles the same. Could this be the beginning of the end of my injection pump? The truck has 193,000 and the pump has been rebuilt once already at about 75,000. The thing is not going anywhere till I figure this out, don't want to be on the side of the road. Thanks again for the help

britannic
09-28-2003, 07:47
Your IP pump is definitely "long in the tooth", however, rule out all of the cheap and obvious things and then if necessary contact Tim Wagner @ www.cleaninjectors.com (http://www.cleaninjectors.com) for a rebuilt IP for under $200.00 + core + shipping or your favorite rebuilder.

The governor controls idle, so a change to a lower speed without adjustment, may be a symptom of inj. pump problems.

Cabasa
09-28-2003, 09:00
Thanks Britannic for the advice. I am pretty sure that the IP is the problem. I tried starting it this morning with no success. Oh well at least with a new IP I will have a piece of mind on those long trips. Thanks again.