PDA

View Full Version : Bypass oil filter

StephenA
09-29-2003, 13:16
DR Lee- I have read your name in connection with a bypass oil filtration setup. I am considering one. Can you tell me about any you have vs. others like the Amsoil dual bypass system?
Thhaks, Stephen

jbplock
09-30-2003, 04:06
Stephen,

FWIW, I had a Baldwin B50 (http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/PartSpecification.asp?URL=PartEntry.asp&partnumber=B50) oil bypass on my 98 6.5 that was similar to Dr Lee's set up. The B50 has a built-in orifice and is specified at 2 micron nominal (50% efficient at 2um) and 12um absolute (IIRC). The B50 can also be mounted with an OB1305 (http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/PartSpecification.asp?URL=PartEntry.asp&partnumber=OB1305) base. I plumbed mine with a COMO full-flow sandwich adapter from JK, which last I knew is no longer available. Some other options for plumbing would be to tap pressurized oil from the oil gallery plug near the full flow adapter and return filtered oil either through a hollow intake manifold bolt (Dr Lee method) or a swivel fitting in the oil filler cap (available from Amsoil). The B50's are inexpensive ($4) so you can change them along with the full flow filter at each oil change. It worked well on my 98 as confirmed by before and after oil analysis. Other popular choices are the OIL GUARD and AMSOIL dual remote.
(If your interested in the B50 I still have an OB1305 filter base head and some B50s left that I'm not using - see signature for my email address).
smile.gif

CleviteKid
09-30-2003, 09:45
Bill's set-up is a good one.

There is an article by me in the 1998 reprint book. If we do a complete volume just on 6.2L projects, this will be included. I started with the Amsoil bypass and it worked fine, but the filters were expensive. I went to a Donaldson filter and filter mount for 2 or 3 micron filtration, and change the bypass filter at every oil change.

Dr. Lee :cool:

mhagie
10-02-2003, 16:30
Dr Lee,Where is the best place to get the replacement Donaldson filters.

CareyWeber
10-06-2003, 19:50
Dr Lee,

Would the same filter that I use for my Dr. Lee by-pass oil (Donaldson P550551 IIRC 3 micron)?

The base that I find for these filters has a by-pass in it, so plugging would not be a issue.

It would be installed in the return line from the trany cooler to the pan.

Carey

CleviteKid
10-07-2003, 06:45
Hey Carey,

Did you leave something out of your post? Like, are you asking if you can use the same filter you use for engine oil bypass filtration (P551550) as an inline external transmission filter?

I think you could, but you would want to change it frequently (like at every engine oil change) to keep it functional. And as you indicate, the bypass valve in the filter mount is a must with such a fine filter used in a full-flow capacity.

For my external trans filter, I use the Donaldson P169071 SYNTEQ (tm) high efficiency filter that fits a standard Fram PH8 base. I got a standard trans filter kit from Summit Racing Equipment, and am using the same base (without a bypass) and the upgraded filter.

If you do decide to use the P551550 for the tranny, let us know how it works out. If you are gonna do this, now is the time. Those cold winds will be whipping across Missouri soon.

Dr. Lee :cool:

mhagie
10-07-2003, 17:31
DR Lee, I have missplaced the web site where you get your Donaldson bypass oilfilters could you please refresh my memory? Thanks

CareyWeber
10-07-2003, 17:47
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
Hey Carey,

Did you leave something out of your post? Like, are you asking if you can use the same filter you use for engine oil bypass filtration (P551550) as an inline external transmission filter?Dr. Lee :cool: Opps typing mess up, but yes that is what I was asking.

I want to only have keep two types of filters on hand.

Thanks
Carey

SaintC
12-24-2003, 01:04
Hi Doc,
Figured I would jump on this old thread to ask you a related question.

I read somewhere (I think it was you) that the main reason for oil changes is the soot.

Does bypass filtering help with this?

Can you get extended oil changes using a bypass filter?

I think I also read somewhere that supposedly, you can use a bypass oil filter with synthetic oil, and that by changing the filters (not the oil) every 3000 or so miles, that the topping off of the oil was enough to replenish the properties that were used up during use. In theory, you could have traces of your first batch some 200,000 miles down the line.

I don't know. Goes against what we were all taught as yungins'.

Richard