PDA

View Full Version : question for the Guru

dieselhumvee
10-03-2003, 17:56
Calling DR Lee and all other diesel braniacs. I have a 1993 hummer with 6.2 NA. I wish to leave the short block in the hummer, remove the NA heads/intake and install G-van heads, intake manifold, exhuast manifolds, center mount turbo, and DB-2 4911 injection pump. Are there any reasons this will not work? It is the same setup as later model hummers have, only they have a DS-4 pump. I would have to buy the Hummer intake tubing and exhuast downpipe but that is it for hummer specific parts. Will the center mount turbo clear my existing vacuum pump on the rear of the block? where does the van turbo get it's oil? (both coming and going)

I cannot think of any reasons this would not work, but then again I am not the guru some of you are. I would so love to have a turbo, please advise!!

dieselhumvee
10-04-2003, 18:25
Well I answered my own question today, at a hummer event the local Army reserve guys brought a 1997 6.5TD humvee with center mount turbo and mechanical injection pump, too bad I couldn't see the numbers on that pump!! Does the th-400 need vacuum to shift? I will have to remove the vac pump on the rear of my 6.2 to install the turbo, as far as I can tell the vac only feeds the cruise control, which I can live without

NH2112
10-05-2003, 04:20
The TH400 does use vacuum to control the shifts, so you will need to have a vacuum pump. You may be able to use a belt-driven one from a 6.5 if it'll bolt to your block, but I think they use serpentine belts. Perhaps there's an electric vacuum pump available that can be used. In any case, you can't just get rid of the old vacuum pump because it also drives the oil pump - you'll need to get an oil pump drive to put in its place.