PDA

View Full Version : Trany filter

Barry Nave
07-31-2004, 08:03
Has anyone added a Ex. filter to a trans on the psi side?
Or would the line psi be to high?
Then on the return or would this be a loss of fluid flow?
When it comes to filtering fluids I'm going full out :D

Dvldog 8793
07-31-2004, 08:16
Howdy
The local trans shop puts an external filter on everyone of their rebuilds and then they change it at 500, and 1000 miles. They said that after that they go about 40-50,000 or whenever the fluid change happens. These filters look just like an engine bypass filter.
Hope this helps!
L8r
Conley

tom.mcinerney
07-31-2004, 20:20
my trans shop suggested a Permacool (or equivalent) bracket...suggested use a bracket that accmmodates TWO filter elements in parallel, minimizing the pressure drop. that raises questions what element,and where install...not there yet. Please take fotos.
I'd assume on press side, I Dunno!

Barry Nave
08-01-2004, 00:36
Dvldog
Can you look to see if filter is mounted to high side or low side of line?
Did the trans shop Mod. the lines to keep them ridged?

Dvldog 8793
08-01-2004, 03:37
Howdy
Trans shop said that Perma-cool makes the one that they use for about $45. I found it in Jegs for 32.99. Comes with a filter and kit. He also told me that putting it on an old trans is a waist of time. He said the only reason they use them is to make sure they get all the wear in particles and other "stuff" in the initial start/up break-in period. Also to make sure that the filter gets changed as it should after that period. He said most people won't change the trans fluid/filter because it is pain to do, with the remote system it can be done easily. He also said that after the first 1000miles you could probably remove the system as long as you replaced the regular filter at the same time.
hope this helps!
L8r
Conley Janssen
USMC 87-93

richard7
08-02-2004, 10:30
An automatic transmission is an hydraulic system. To minimize wear and extend oil life, an external transmission filter is a must. It is an aberration that most automotive transmissions don't have a real filter (the transmission "filter" in the pan is a stainer, not a filter). One exeption is with the Allison/Dmax, and the new 5 speed Ford for the Powerstroke.

It is better to put the filter after the oil cooler, especially after a trans. rebuilt, because the possibility of previous contamination in the cooler is high.

Use the best (read higher efficiency) oil filter avalaible. Those remote kits come with a Fram PH8A equivalent. I suggest you use Fleetguard LF-3487 or Donaldson P169071, synthetic media filter.