PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild Questions

eazly
10-07-2003, 08:14
What is the best place to get engine kits? Is Mahle products good quality stuff? :rolleyes:
I have small cracks on my heads between the intake and exhaust valves. They are consistantly in the same place throughout both heads. They have been pressure tested and don't leak. Should I continue to run these heads? I have a 93

CleviteKid
10-07-2003, 09:05
Check with our advertiser Northern Auto Parts ( http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/NAP.htm ) for complete rebuild kits. If you have the time to tear the engine apart and measure the bores (after rehoning) and crank journals you can get the right size rings and bearings to fit your engine. Try to avoid having the crank GROUND, just polish it with very fine emery paper to prepare for reinstallation.

You can learn all you need to know about head cracks in the Members Area of TheDieselPage.com. Go to
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/gmheads.htm

At The Diesel Depot, every rebuilt head gets the sleeve treatment, and I don't believe they have ever had a failure.

Good luck with your job; let us know how it turns out.

Dr. Lee :cool:

eazly
10-07-2003, 10:26
I only see an engine kit for 6.2. On the website. Thanks for the info on the heads. This really helps alot. I think I going to order my engine kit from ebay. This longs like good stuff tongue.gif

tom.mcinerney
10-09-2003, 17:49
Eazly--Northern does have 6.5L TD parts/engine kits; for some reason neither their catalog nor web site give clear indications, might want phone....

painthorsman
10-10-2003, 17:04
The cracks found in between the valves of the end cylinders of 6.2 and 6.5 heads are really easy to fix once you have the heads off, if you are fairly mechanically inclined.
A kit made by K-Line (kit# 3900) has everything you need, including instructions, except for the small frost plugs, that plug the drilled water passage in between the valves. The frost plugs are about .50 cents apiece from NAPA. The kit is kinda pricey at $195.00 but, it is marketed mainly towards machine shops and has enough sleeves etc to fix about 50 head cracks.... you probably only have 4 cracks to fix... two in each head. Sometimes there is a used kit for sale in the classifieds on the DP or on E Bay.

rumbler1
10-16-2003, 14:06
I bought my kit from RebuiltDiesel.com in Florida for my 6.2. I just checked and they have the rebuild kit for a 6.5 for $695. That kit includes everything except new rollers, which cost $11 each from them for my 6.2. They can be hard to reach by phone, but I was very happy with the kit and the price. Good luck!

eazly
10-26-2003, 08:40
That is where I decided to get my engine kit. Rebuiltdiesel.com had the best price. I would recommend doing business with them. THANKS AGAIN.