PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust mod's

Ratau
03-08-2004, 22:11
I had a look at your picture album and specific at the crossover pipe off the exhaust system. In the topic "Swangler Exhaust" you mention the adapters and flanges sizes. I will appreciate it if you will mail me the sketch you offered. I was not sure about the crossover pipe and at what point to install it so I didn't do it yet. I saw gas V8's were the crossover pipe is about 2/3 to 3/4 off the dual pipes in size. How does it work on V8 diesels? What is the difference between a big single or smaller dual system?

86burb
03-09-2004, 01:14
An easy way to figure out where to put a crossover pipe, Spay paint a line going the length of your exhauast pipes. Take your truck for a drive and then check to see where the paint has burned off, this would be the best place for the crossover.I use equal diameter pipe. The crossover balances the exhaust smoothing out the tone and most importantly, helps to increase low end torque.If you are not using a turbo, then go with dual 2 1/2" to 3" pipes with a crossover. On a N/A engine a single pipe is too restrictive.

Ratau
03-09-2004, 03:55
86 burb
Your spray paint idea sound good I will do that.

I had the exhaust system replaced about 2000 miles ago, 2.5" tubes with 400mm long free flow mufflers, no crossover yet.

The one thing I didn't removed is the EGR device on the left manifold that look like a vacuum operated choke because I was not sure if the 3 studs was cast or screwed into the manifold, please give advise to remove it if necessary.

There is more roar at the ears of the bystanders outside the truck, that's the reason why we named the Blazer "Ratau" ( in Twanna a African language it mean THE BIG LION)

CleviteKid
03-11-2004, 15:13
Ratau: I need your email address to send you the dimensioned sketch of the adapters.

Please send it to leeswanger at yahoo dot com.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Ratau
03-18-2004, 06:18
Dr. Lee
I did send it to you by e-mail, it seem you do not get your mail, here it is again.

************ [ email address deleted by Dr. Lee to protect Danie from spam ]

Danie

[ 03-18-2004, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: CleviteKid ]

Ratau
03-22-2004, 22:49
Dr. Lee

Thanks for the drawing, do you have a comment on my question?

Danie

CleviteKid
03-23-2004, 05:19
The studs are screwed into the manifold, but age and corrosion will have them pretty well stuck. If you want to take them out and replace them with 10mm bolts, you will need a stud extractor to yank them, and it will ruin the threads.

I would recommned removing the EPR assembly so you can get the restrictions out of the exhaust system to the maximum extent, short of replacing the manifolds with headers.

Ratau
03-23-2004, 21:49
Dr. Lee

Maybe I sound stupid but what do you mean by "headers". It take a while to get to know all the words used in the automotive world.

Danie

britannic
03-25-2004, 07:24
Headers are the exhaust manifolds that bolt to the cylinder heads.

CleviteKid
03-25-2004, 07:41
Click on STAN'S HEADERS (http://www.stans-headers.com/) to learn all about headers, as compared to cast iron exhaust manifolds. Stan has headers for 6.2L and 6.5L diesel trucks.