PDA

View Full Version : Replacing crossover pipe.

wfyehl
03-21-2005, 08:51
Well, I thought that I had a bad exhaust gasket (donut) between the drivers side manifold and the crossover pipe. When I finally got the bolts off of the flange (one broke off using an impact wrench), I realized that the crossover pipe is rusted just below the lip, and the gasket was still holding.

I purchased the Flowmaster crossover/down pipe, and now am waiting for it to arrive (hopefully tomorrow). The question I have for the group is, while the pipe is off, should I have a bung welded into it for the EGT probe, or will the band clamp hold the probe in fine? Will it leak with the the band clamp?

Thanks,
Bill

john8662
03-21-2005, 09:51
You can do either, I've used the clamp and the lead gasket that comes with this style probe and holder. It makes for a quick install, and I haven't had any leaks, just don't squeeze the snot out of it, and make sure the gasket is cenered properly. Since your installing new, I'd install the bung, either way.

GMC Hauler
03-21-2005, 10:06
I did the bung, although I can't speak for the clamp in style. I thought it would be a more secure installation.

If you do weld in the bung, make sure the flange is next to the flare BEFORE you weld on the bung. I didn't and had to reweld it (read: I'm Dumb) :(

wfyehl
03-21-2005, 11:12
I'm leaning toward the weld in bung, but we'll have to see how time permits. I need to get this together before 30-March-2005. That is when we leave for Florida for Spring Break. I'm glad you mentioned keeping the flange close to the flare. That would be something that I would do also.

Thanks again,
Bill