PDA

View Full Version : Horn Upgrade ??

CleviteKid
03-12-2004, 13:38
Hey Doc,

Any suggestions on installing louder horns? I have a 1999 Suburban and the horns are a little lacking in my opinion. Not interested in air horns, musical horns, etc. just louder OEM sounding horns. Do you have any suggestions on upgrading the horns? Either replacing the existing one or putting in a more powerful one using a relay to power it would be fine.

Would installing an additional horn from say Autozone and running it in parallel with the stock one through a relay help? I assume our trucks have one low tone horn? Seems they sell OEM ones in low and high tone flavors. I know my Camaro has 2 horns, a low and high tone horn.

Thanks for any help!
Art.

Hey Art,

I don't know about the 1999, but my 1984 had two OEM horns, one hi and one low. I added some higher output horns from JC Whitney, for about $20, and used a relay to power all four horns. That was a little better.

Then for around $70 I bought the JC Whitney Diesel Tone Air Horns, that come with there own little compressor. I mounted the horns on the radiator support with the 14" trumpets across in front of the radiator. I took out the battery tray and had enuf room for the compressor under the tray. The relay was big enuf to also run the compressor, and I left the other 4 horns on, so now I have SIX horns. Firepower.

A couple of months after the six horn setup went in, I was at a traffic light behind a couple in a Mercedes 500SL with the top down. The light turned green, but they were just chatting up a storm. I actually gave the driver about 20 seconds to get with the program, and then I let them have 3 seconds of blast right in their ears (remember, convertible with the top down). Both their necks snapped around, and if looks could kill, I would have been a dead man. Ah, cool!

Dr. Lee :D

84 Convert
03-24-2004, 21:25
Sounds awesome! Now all you need is one that'll sound like tires screeching! Heehee.

Gregg